Chapter 16:: Facing Demons

Khadijah

Finally it's time for me to blow this joint. They sent me my discharge papers and now, I'm just waiting for my ride.

As I flipped through the cable channels, I watched as Devonté walked in. I rolled my eyes and fought back some pretty heavy emotions.

"How do you feel?" Memphis asked while sitting in the chair beside my bed.

I never even looked at him. "I feel like you just stabbed me." I don't give a fuck about his robbery story, I know what really happened in that house.

But to my surprise Memphis broke down with real life tears. "I'm so sorry. I would never put my hands on you again if you would just come back home."

Home? When did my apartment become home to him? He has never even slept there.

Before I could even answer the door opened and Coco walked in with a smile on her face. Once she noticed Memphis it disappeared.

"Oh hell no. She's leaving with me." Coco snapped.

I looked back at Memphis who didn't show no evidence of crying but instead he had the same expression on his face now that he had when stabbing me.

So, I felt enraged and blurted out. "I'm going home with Devonté..."

Memphis smirked but Coco stood there in confusion. "This man just stabbed you and you're going home with him?"

"It was a robbery, Coco." I started tearing up.

"Well, hopefully the robber doesn't put a fuckin' hole in yo head." Coco said throwing some clothes on the bed and rushing out.

I took a deep breath and buried my face in my hands.

"Khadijah, I can't lose you to this bullshit. We can talk about Amina and Rocsi. We'll settle it."

This bitch ass nigga must not realize the severity of the shit he just did to me. At this point, I don't give one fuck about Rocsi and Amina.

"I just wanna go home." I said, climbing out of bed to put my clothes on.

"You can't go to your apartment. You gotta stay at mine."

I looked up at him. There is no way I'm going to his apartment. "Why? Why can't I go to mine?"

"It was broken into, Khadijah." He said nonchalantly. I know his ass isn't starting to believe that bullshit.

I felt extremely uncomfortable at his house. While he went to go pick up Cease, I just laid in his bed and cried my little eyes out.

I've always asked myself how could shit get worse and I think I finally found out how.

It took Memphis an hour to bring my son to me but once I saw him I felt a little better.

We both laid on our sides and stared at each other. It scares me of how much Cease looks like Memphis. I just gotta raise him to ensure that he won't be like him.

"Hi mommy." Cease said, touching my cheek.

"Hi." I faked a smile as tears dropped onto the pillow.

"What's wrong?" Cease said moving closer to me to console me.

I heard Memphis walk into the room and I closed my eyes at an attempt to stop crying but that only made it worse.

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing, DJ."

Memphis cleared his throat before talking but once he got around to it, he said. "Come eat."