Chapter 18:: Chavo's Return

Khadijah

I don't have anywhere to go but I can't fuckin' stay here. I'm sick of being abused and used. I never took him so serious until he pulled that gun out on me.

That's when I realized that he would never change and if I stayed he would have killed me. Then soon after he stabbed me.

For hours I was just driving on the expressway paying tolls and not knowing where I was going.

Then six hours later I pulled up to my old house in Detroit. I looked at it and then at Cease.

They done turned my house into a damn trap. It was old but I made it look nice.

I watched as this caramel toned, dimpled man jogged down every other step.

"Chavo." I whispered as I thought about the bag of dope in my trunk. He was Memphis's right hand man, he would know exactly what to do with it.

I climbed out the car and yelled his name.

He turned to me and raised his eyebrow as I began to approach. "What you doing here?"

"I need yo help." I said, standing in front of him with my hands in my pocket.

Chavo stood with his guard up. He checked out the car. I'm not understanding why he's being so paranoid.

"Where's Memphis?"

I shook my head. "He didn't come with me and he can't know I'm here."

"Why?" He questioned, growing even more suspicious of me. Now, I'm starting to feel like it was a mistake coming here.

"Never mind. Just forget it." I said, turning around to walk back to my car.

"Wait." Chavo said, grabbing my arm. I turned back to him. "What's wrong?"

"I left him." I said, fast. "But I got something for you. You're the only person I could trust."

Chavo thought about it before asking me, "what you got?"

I laid in bed next to my two boys and smiled. Just eight months ago I had another baby, Kye Raymond Calhoun, prematurely.

Chavo was there holding my hand through it all and I felt like life cheated me. I swear it was supposed to be Memphis there but he made his bed.

Actually, Chavo have been a lot of help. He gave me half my money for that dope. Then he moved me into his old apartment and gave me a bartender job at his club.

I threw my legs on the side of the bed and peeped over to the digital clock on my nightstand that beamed 10:40 p.m.

Since I have to be at work in less than an hour, I got up to get dressed. While looking through my clothes I decided to put on some acid wash jeans and a white crop top that has "BOSS" written across it in black.

I went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, washed my face, and unwrapped my hair that fell so naturally into place and remains to have its bounce.

My front door opened and I peeped out to see Chavo's aunt Phyllis walk in.

I walked into the living room to grab my leather jacket and wallet to leave. I hugged Phyllis and insured her that the boys are sleep and most likely won't wake up.

After Chavo gave me half my bread for that dope, I got rid of that old car and bought myself a Mercedes.

I sped all the way to work and then rushed in. It was turnt up on this young Friday night.