Chapter 20: Mr. Foster

Khadijah

As like any other day, my boys woke me up early in the AM. I placed Kye in his rocker and passed him his bottle.

"What you want to eat, Cease?" I returned to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator to see what was there.

Cease ran up next to me. "Eggs, sausages!" he yelled.

I looked down at Memphis's twin and shook my head. "Why you so loud?" He just ran off.

I started making his breakfast for him while they sat in the living room and watched cartoons.

As I was making Cease's plate, someone knocked on the door.

"Cease, go eat at the diner room table." I said as I opened the door for Aunt Phyllis and Chavo. "Good morning." I smiled.

"Good morning." They both replied. "I left my wallet here last night." Aunt Phyllis added.

"Right." I nodded and went into the kitchen to grab her wallet from off of the refrigerator. "Thank you for watching them. I know they could be a handful."

She shook her head as she grabbed her wallet. "They are good boys. You're doing a good job with them."

I wanted to roll my eyes in her face but instead I faked a smile.

"Am I really?" I asked as I noticed Cease sitting on the floor in the living room eating instead of at the table.

"Thank you." I added. Just at that moment Cease stood up over Kye and ten seconds later Kye started screaming at the top of his lungs.

"Did you guys need anything else?" I asked as I walked over to my baby. Chavo nodded. I gestured for him to give me a minute.

"Devonté, what did you do to him?" I snapped at Cease as I picked Kye up.

"Nothing." Cease claimed.

"Whatever. He ain't screaming for nothing." I said. "Go eat at the table like I told you to in the first place."

Cease picked up his plate and stomped to the kitchen. I shook my head as I searched everywhere for Kye's pacifier.

I rushed pass Chavo and his aunt to my bedroom to check for it in there. I threw the covers off of my bed but it wasn't there either.

I have to find it because Kye with his vocal skills is gonna buss my goddamn ear drum.

When I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I noticed it attached to my shirt and didn't think twice when I stuck it in his mouth.

Then I stood there looking at how rough I look. My hair is all over my head even though it's supposed to be in a ponytail.

I have on some oversized gray sweatpants and a huge white T-shirt and some holey pink socks.

Now, I'm filled with embarrassment for letting Chavo see me like this but I returned to the living room anyways.

Chavo always look like he's been through it all and he's about two or three years younger than me. Even though, I've been through some shit, I really want to know what's going on with him.

Chavo pulled his wallet out of his pocket and opened it up to pull out a black card and held it out for me.

"What's this for?" I asked staring at it. Yeah, he pretty much pays for everything I do and have but I work for it. Him giving me his card is unnecessary.

"I'm going out of town tomorrow. I never got around to handling all the stuff at the club and your bills. So, I need you to handle it."

I carefully grabbed his card. "And you trust me to do this?" he nodded. "Where are you going anyway?"