4 - The reaping

MITCHS POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as I walked into my house, I knew something was wrong. My parents and Prim where all sitting at the table, immaculate. 

"How was your walk dear?" Mum asked. The way she said the word 'walk' meant that we had guests over that didn't know we still hunted. 

"It was good Mum, thanks for asking," I replied as I walked into the dining room, only to see Haymitch and two peacekeepers sitting at our table. Haymitch was talking to Dad, a tone of urgency in his voice.

"You can't let him go to the reaping! He is at the perfect age and he is the son of two famous victors! Plus, they are choosing two boys from each district this year, no girls at all! That means Mitchell has a higher chance of being picked than average! You have to believe me! I don't want him to be chosen for the games either! He is like a son to me! You can't let him go and..." he trailed off once he realized I was standing there.

"Mitchell, go and clean up. The reaping is soon," said Dad, before turning back and arguing with Haymitch. I didn't start thinking until I got to my room. What did Haymitch mean 'prime age?' Are there really only male tributes this year? What about Jerome? This last thought made my stomach tie up in knots.

 I quickly brushed down my hair, only to have it spring up again when I looked away, and I tried to calm my thoughts. This did not work at all. I couldn't sit still, so I paced my room, my mind racing a thousand miles an hour, unable to stop.

By the time the ceremony came around, I almost puked. I was more nervous about this reaping than I had ever been before, and I just hoped it wouldn't show during the reaping. 

I left the house pale. I moved quietly to the square. I stood amongst my age group, ignoring the looks and stares I got from the girls. I was used to these looks by now, and I just prayed that I wouldn't get picked as a tribute.

Some lady walked on stage, I don't know what her name is, (A/N Not Effie Trinket BTW) and she introduced us to the Hunger Games. Apparently it was the 15th Hunger Games out of all the new ones, which means that it is a Quarter Quell. Something was said about it being all boys, and I heard a collective gasp come from the audience. I found it hard to push down a smirk. The lady talked some more before walking over to the sphere full of boys names. She slowly pulled a name out.

I held my breath as she unfurled it and read out the name.

"Tyler Brotato"

I let out my breath, and watched a boy, probably a little younger than me walk up on stage. He had a grey and red checkered hoodie and jeans. He had brown hair and brown eyes that where slightly obscured by huge glasses. I could see him trembling from here.

The lady walked him to the side of the stage, and went back to the huge glass sphere. I held my breath a second time as her hand fished around in the papers, before she grasped one in neon coloured nails and pulled it out. She walked over to the microphone and unfurled the paper. It felt like the longest five seconds of my life. She read out the name and my heart stopped.

"Mitchell Everdeen."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OHHHHHHHHH That was sooo NOT expected!! Na that was obvious. 

Vote if you enjoyed, and comment if you want the next part up!

Peace out guys!

- K