Chapter 16 - Case ii

⚠️ Trigger warning for this chapter⚠️

Once again, you were on edge. 

Interactions with different patients left you wondering, confused and honestly slightly unnerved. As a therapist, you were used to many different types of behaviours and oddities, especially when you dealt in rehabilitating people who had been scarred from seeing and experiencing ghosts and beings that the majority of the population didn't even believe in, at the P.I.A facility. 

Here at the Psychiatric Hospital however, things weren't what you would call a normal kind of strange. 

What had caught your attention per-say, was how the employees worked and how they treated the patients at the hospital. Including Dr. Kim, who would sedate or prescribe drugs unnecessarily to patients in situations when in your own personal opinion wasn't needed. The doctor seemed careless. You believed in forming a connection with your patients, understanding their feelings and talking to them. You saw none of that here. Hoseok had been right. The patients weren't being treated with care, and you watched as nurses and orderlies went out of their way to avoid them. It was no wonder Hoseok and A-Yeong had taken a shine to you in the short few days you had been working at the hospital. 

You also noticed patients going into 'isolation' when you knew they hadn't done anything to get that punishment. You still didn't even know where isolation was or what they did there. Did you not have a say in where your patient's went that were in your care on your assigned floor?

There was something about this place that just didn't sit right with you. It was like there was an evil seeping through its walls and floors. Like a bloodstain on a white sheet, even though it had been cleaned, brushed and scrubbed its remnants would remain, the white would still be tainted.

For example you had definitely seen a few ghosts about. Like the child you saw peeking around a corner at you, and wouldn't be there when you went to have a look, or the man that sat on the bench outside the window whistling a low haunting tune one minute, and the next would be in the next room that you visited. Then there would be a younger girl in her teens, staring at something in the corner, something that wasn't there.

It was getting hard to tell who was dead, and who wasn't. You began to carry some rosemary around with you, leaving pieces in hidden places where you could. There was plenty bits of peeling plaster from the walls of the hospital where you could slip the herbs between the cracks. It wouldn't solve much, you knew this, but cleansing a huge place like this would take time, baby steps. 

The ghosts you had been coming into contact with didn't seem hostile, yet they were still trapped in a limbo causing them to suffer. Not only that, but they were probably stalling the recovery process of the patients, especially the schizophrenic ones. You had to help them move on.

You were currently on your own in the laundry room, picking out the freshly washed bed sheets from the machine and piling them into a basket, ready to take with you onto the roof to hang them out to dry. 

Another chocolate wrapper fluttered to the floor as you shook out the last sheet from the machine. Hoseok's bed-sheets. You thought you had picked them all out before putting them in the wash but you must have missed that one. 

Just how many chocolate bars does this guy eat? You had emptied his trash can and the next day it had been full again with wrappers. How had he not made himself sick yet? It also made you wonder if it had something to do with the ghost that was supposedly possessing him.