Chapter 27 - Playground (i)

A/N: I find it funny how everyone was so concerned with the dropped cookies last chapter, I'm sorry for that traumatic experience, pls forgive meh, I will make you another batch.

In your office a young boy sat opposite you in the chair on the other side of your desk. His feet barely touched the floor, the chair being still too big for him to sit properly on. 

You surveyed him with your arms crossed, having a small thought crossed your mind of whether this was a prank some kids had cooked up. 

"So you think the park in the next district over from here is haunted?" You questioned not bothering to sweeten your voice despite the boy being very young. You were hoping that if this kid was setting up a prank, that your sternness and 'taking no shit' attitude would make him crack and give up. You didn't have time for games.

His name was Choi Youngjae, and he said he was eight years old going on nine in two weeks. He had turned up unannounced at the front doors of the facility looking anxious and sheepish. He had looked like a lost child, but he had insisted that this was the place he was looking for. You still had many questions about why an eight year old was wondering about by himself, and looking for a 'ghost buster' on top of that.

"Yes, miss. You have to believe me," he exclaimed, his hands balling into fists on his knees, his shoulders hunched. "My sister and I went to play there last week. We hadn't been to this park before but this park seems scary. My sister fell off the climbing frame and hurt her arm. She's in hospital."

"Ok," you drew out, not understanding quite how this related to the park being haunted. "I'm sorry to hear about your sister, but why do you think this park is haunted, Youngjae?" Your voice softening, your suspicions of any sort of pranks disappearing.

He grew fidgety, staring intently at his dangling feet.

"Appa and Eomma both say she fell...but I saw her," his voice dropped into a whisper, his fidgeting body growing still. You leaned in on your desk.

"Saw who, Youngjae?" You coaxed for him to continue.

He looked up at you hesitantly, eyes innocent and clear with honesty. 

"The girl behind my Noona. She pushed her. My Noona didn't fall, she was shoved." 

You frowned.

"Could that not just have been another child playing at the park at the time?"

"No!" He shouted suddenly, frustration clear on his features. "All you adults don't believe me! I'm not lying! That girl was there! I went to shove her back for shoving my Noona but she wasn't there anymore. I'm telling you it was a ghost!"

"Youngjae, I never said I didn't believe you," you said gently, watching the boy try to calm his heavy breaths. "I was just trying to cross out the other possibilities that might have happened."

He looked at you with a pout that you thought was just adorable. 

"I'm not the only one. My friends at school say that they don't play there no more. A boy a few weeks back got injured too, and they said they had seen a girl that looked the same too."

"I'll tell you what Youngjae," you began grabbing his attention. "I will go and have a look and assess the park for you. But keep this to yourself otherwise the adults will think you're a bit odd." Youngjae gave you a confused look.