The Rogue (Vampire!Laxus x Vampire!Reader)

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would see him again.

Not after he left without one last glance, one last thought as to what he was throwing away like it meant nothing.

But, here we are.

I've always been told to expect the unexpected, but this was just too much.

He stood opposite me, with that same stoic expression on his face like the day we first met. His eyes focused on me, narrowed, calculating, wary; unlike the way he looked at me when we shared those passionate nights when they were so full of love and admiration. His arms hung by his side, seemingly leaving him open for attack - but I knew that he was always ready, capable to strike like a snake at any given moment. His fingers twitched every now and then, I wondered what was going on in his head.

The coat he loved so much was tattered. The fur trim was matted with chunks missing. The colour had faded and holes popped up in the expensive material. I remembered how much care he took with his favourite coat - what happened to him?

His other clothes were in a similar state: distressed.

Oh, how the mighty fall.

The air was still, neither of us moved a muscle. The moonlight was blocked out by the blanket of thick white clouds, only beams of it shone through when the clouds moved.

"I should just kill you now," I hissed, tightening my grip on the handle of my dagger that hung near my leg.

"So should I," he echoed, a slight edge to his voice. He made a fist with his hand, clenched, then let his fingers unfurl.

"I have a good reason," I sneered at the man who I once called my lover.

"And so do I," he responded. Our eyes were locked.

I glared at him and reminded myself of all the hurt he had caused the Clan, of all the hurt he had caused me. He was selfish and ruthless, only acting for himself. But as I thought of all his actions, I remembered what other things he had done; held me when I cried over a fallen friend, taken care of me when I was sick, danced with me when I needed some fun.

I sighed and let go of my dagger, "but I can't."

"And neither can I," he admitted.

Ever so slowly, I walked over to him. I gripped his coat in my hands and looked over him. I was closer now, and had a better view. He had new scars on his face, tiny nicks above his lip, burn marks on his arms. His hair was dirtied, no longer the electric blonde that it was.

"What happened to you?" I whispered. What happened to the man who carried himself with such grace?

"Being exiled happened to me," he replied bluntly. He turned his gaze away and I dropped his coat, letting it fall back to it's place.

Laxus Dreyar - grandson to the Grand-Master - was exiled a year ago due to him breaking the rules - the very fundamental laws of our existence. He was caught feeding on a human dangerously close to dawn.

I had been speechless when I had heard, he was smarter than that. Clearly I was wrong to think such things.

He offered me a life together the evening he left. He told me that we could start somewhere new, start our own Clan, but I refused. I had a Clan, a family, but he was no longer part of it. It was cold of me to do such things, but he was a Rogue and I would be a Rogue if I left with him.

Rogues are exiles, avoided by all vampires. Law is to kill them on sight.

"For good reason," I reminded him.

He looked back down at me and raised his hand. There was something in his eyes as he held up his hand, then he lowered it again. He cleared his throat and asked, "anyone new in your life then?"

"Anyone new?" I shook my head, "no one could replace you." I paused, then asked, "what are you doing in town then?"

"I've got to eat, just like you," he replied.

An awkward silence washed over us, neither of us really knowing what to say.

Then finally, he broke the silence: "run away with me."

"What?"

"Run away, with me. Live our lives as it should have been. Y/N, I know you still have dreams of seeing the world, you can have the chance to live your dreams," he said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

The way he said my name made so many memories rush back.

Intoxicating.

I wanted more.

"Laxus, I..."

"I can see it in your eyes. Why can't we start a new life together?"

My mouth fell open as a searched for an answer. Life with the Clan was like life in a palace, food was always available, since there were people like me to collect it, it was warm, hidden, comfortable: perfect.

But boring.

"Okay. I'll do it."