16. Tokyo Palace Hotel

"Before my eyes, it blocks my path. A high, high wall. What sort of scene is on the other side? What will I be able to see there? "The view from the top." A scenery I will never be able to see on my own. But if I'm not alone... I might be able to see it."

- Hinata Shōyō

~ • ~ • ~ • ~

Akahana ran away from the cops who were supposedly guarding her. They were pesky. Constantly bothering her on how she can't go alone. She got annoyed when they accompanied her to the bathroom. She escaped. She knew her disappearance would cause mayhem but she didn't feel the slightest bit guilty.

She fled into the nearest hospital room, hoping it would be a brain dead person or someone deaf. In that case, she won't have to worry about them calling for the nurses. Akahana put her ear on the door, hearing footsteps dash past the room. A sigh of relief left her lips, her legs sunk unto the floor tiles.

Her legs were still weak, tired from running. Akahana cursed herself, she's never usually this weak. It's only natural this happened, but it didn't make it any less frustrating. Momoi and Aomine left after their short visit, the ones guarding her wouldn't let them stay longer. The boy she talked to briefly, Masaomi's son, was nowhere to be seen.

"Uhm, what are you doing here?"

She turned around, seeing a boy who seemed slightly older than her. Akahana blinked. He's good looking and all that however compared to the latest faces she had seen, his appearance was very normal. No irregular hair or eye color, no creepy aura, just an ordinary person. It's refreshing. She peered behind his shoulder, a sleeping man who may be his father laid on the hospital bed.

"I can't exactly say but can I please stay here?" Akahana gave him her best puppy eyes. It worked every time with the nurses. He looked away, a tinge of pink on his cheeks. He had a younger sister and brother, once you look, you inevitably give in to their devices.

He exhaled, though she seemed like a trouble maker, he didn't see the harm in letting her stay. He assumed she was a patient of the hospital. She had bandages everywhere. Some were on her face. Bruises around her neck, bandaged legs and arms, her lip was busted. He failed to understand how she can run in that state, and an itching curiosity hit him about how she even got this badly beaten. The boy clamped his teeth on his lip, he knows it's not something to ask.

Akahana peeked at the laying man. He didn't look like he was on the brink of death but her intuition told her he's more sickly than he looks. "Your name is...?" She beckoned for him to speak.

"Uh, Nijimura Shuzo."

"I see." She nodded. "I'm Aka... Akahana," she introduced herself. She nearly let her last name slip. The thing is, she couldn't carelessly tell anyone her last name. It's not a matter of whether she wants to say it or not, it can cause a scandal which even for her, she doesn't want to deal with. Akahana tried to smile. Instead of a smile, it appeared more of a grimace.

"Soo... should I just call you 'Shuzo'? I'm pretty sure that's your old man over there," it would be confusing for her if she had to call them by their last name. Nijimura shrugged, allowing her to use his first name. He didn't care about formalities anymore.

They stood there silently for a few minutes. They didn't talk to each other, they didn't do anything. What were they supposed to do? Play patty cake? One has his dad on the hospital bed and the other barely escaped from the annoying adults outside. They both had it rough. Akahana sighed again, she disliked the awkward atmosphere.

"Is it cancer?" She asked, quite bluntly.

"What's cancer?"

Akahana pursed her lips, so he's that kind of kid. She knew as a child, her knowledge exceeds a standard child would know. Still, isn't he a bit too sheltered? His dad might have it. She didn't want to ruin his innocence, she wasn't stupid. Akahana didn't answer, and asked a more simple question. "What's wrong with your dad?"