33. He Knew They Knew

"Wait so you're telling me that you didn't know that she didn't know that I knew that you knew? Bullshit."

- Akagi Akahana

~ • ~ • ~ • ~

The woman's finger ran circles around her skin. Her soft touch soothed her tensed body. Haru and his siblings stared at their mother and the small girl who clung unto the lady's slim waist.

None of his siblings, or he himself, touched their mother like that. At first he thought his mother just carried on with it because she pitied her. But he later found out that it wasn't that, it was because she loved her like them too.

And he wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like this, he just never felt jealous.

Akahana was talented at everything. She could be a machine who'd do anything her masters and mistresses would tell her to do.

. . .

He knew that. His siblings were young but he was sure they knew that just as well. His father was constantly watching her so he knew that. He knew his mother wasn't blind. He knew they knew.

So when she brought friends, his parents were incredibly ecstatic. Even more when his siblings won tournaments, even more so when he placed first in the exams. It was odd to see them that happy.

They weren't her friends, as per say. The kids practically invited themselves into the house. Their mother pampered them with food and clothes.

Haruno and Haruhi would simply watch. They were all happy that she was able to get friends who care for her.

Their mother fed her, clothes her and taught her so many things but he knew there was still more things she needed to learn. She taught her how to cook, to care for animals, plenty of things that their mother didn't take the time to do for them.

So when she passed away due to the bullet that went through her heart, the one who broke down was Akahana. They were devastated and it seemed almost impossible for someone other than flesh and blood to be sadder of her death than them.

: : :

"I want to go home."

Where is home?

Something plastic hit her head. She caught it as it nearly bounced off her cheek. It was melon flavoured bread. Drops of water fell on the wrapper, sliding down to hit the cemented floor.

"Then go home."

The droplets on the wrapper first fell from her eyes, but later on it was from the sky she always thought was the only thing that cared for her. The beating of the water against her skin was weirdly comforting.

"I don't have one."

Her hand reached towards the sky. Her fingers blocked the light from the stars. I can't reach it. She retraced her arm to form her hand into a cup, collecting water.

The loose white t-shirt she wore as part of her pajamas went translucent. The fabric stuck to her skin with the black bra now visible to his naked eyes. Her hair was soaked. She turned to the blond, tears were concealed by the rain.