23. Garlic Butter Sirloin Steak

"What will happen in the future and whether or not you can win the next match... For once, none of that matters. Crushing the guys in front of you, and the amazing feeling having shown 120% of strength, are everything."

- Bokuto Kōtarō

~ • ~ • ~ • ~

Akahana's grip on the clipboard tightened. Perhaps, the strength applied was a tad too much.

Her shoulders flinched at the feeling of shattered pieces of the board were on her hands, luckily, no harm done to her fingers. She didn't know why she can handle injury to her limbs but the tiniest wounds on her fingers make her feel like Satan has come to bring her soul to the underworld. It's that terrible. Sighing, controlling her strength nowadays is getting harder.

She tossed the clipboard on the floor in frustration. Frustrated she doesn't even know why she's frustrated. Akahana clicked her tongue realizing she had to bend and pick up the clipboard and its fragments. It sat so unsightly on the floor but her legs were so tired from yesterday's training (she was invited by the 'miracles' to have a brisk run. In the end, she got too competitive).

The basketball players kept a safe distance from their coach. Even if they wanted to help, it's futile. It'll only get her from level one annoyed to the maximum height of her anger. Though she wasn't particularly violent to anyone other than the Generation of Miracles, they've seen her deal with Haizaki before so they rather not take the risk of getting buried six feet under the ground at a young age.

"Akahana," Nijimura slapped the back of her head. The players feared for his safety the moment his hand struck her. "What's wrong? Are you constipated," he asked in genuine concern. That's not something you ask a girl, Nijimura!

Akahana sighed again. Knowing Nijimura, he didn't actually tease her. Still, it still annoys her. He didn't have to ask her that in front of everyone. She puffed up her cheeks, controlling her anger. If she lets loose, a nuclear explosion is what would be coming to them. He pinched her cheek first, afterwards walking over to where she threw her clipboard to collect its victims of Akahana's wrath. "So what is it?"

"What is what?" Akahana was grouchy. Normally he would scold her for her tone, however the look on her face made it look like whatever is on her mind is deeper than he thinks. Instead of angry, it looked like she was more scared.

Fear on her face, it's disturbing. Not a lot of things can scare the girl. In fact, she's too fearless. Her lack of fear used to bother him when they were younger, now, seeing it etched on her face bothers him a lot more. What can possibly make her look so anxious? He didn't know. "Why do you look terrified? Did you cheat on Akashi?" He joked.

The brunette didn't hear a word of whatever Nijimura was saying, too engrossed in her thoughts to listen. His eyes bulged, misunderstanding her silence for something entirely different. Akahana's shoulder slumped, amplifying the boy's imagination to misunderstand the situation. "You cheated on Akashi?!" Akahana's ears were able to pick that up.

His voice may have been too loud. The whole court of players heard his scream-like exclamation. "Y-You know I can't defend the cheating party-"

"What in the world are you saying?" Akahana jumped at her boyfriend's voice. They said the exact same thing at the perfect moment. She would have been all flustered about it if it weren't for her frustration. Wait. He heard Shuuzo-nii? Her face paled. What other reason could he be there for? Obviously he'll get mad if he hears this. She took a sneak peek on his face. Expressionless, just like in every argument they have, except she can tell he was seething on the inside.