28. Paying in Full

"If we have time to get upset, we should have used that time to move on... Even if just one step forward!"

- Kise Ryōta

~ • ~ • ~ • ~

Akahana picked on her skin. She can still run away while she can. Running away may seem cowardly to many but it is a means of survival, just a method people don't particularly like. Her fingers twiddled together, forced to watch her teammates go awry.

"... Are you okay, Akahana-san?" Kuroko asked politely. This bad habit of hers is noticeable to many. He placed his hand over hers, as if to halt her movements. She let the hand stay, some comfort isn't terrible. Also because she saw from the corner of her eye Kuroko squirting hand sanitizer onto the palm of his hand, it's the safe zone.

It's strange sitting next to Kuroko. They don't talk much. They don't interact a lot. He's simply her best friend's crush, nothing more than that. Time didn't allow them to become closer. Perhaps it's because she was already busy with everyone else, she ended up forgetting about the shadow. There are other things to worry about other than Kuroko so it couldn't be helped.

She tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear. "What am I supposed to answer? It feels awful. Like I'm deciding whether or not to take a divorce," she had been seriously contemplating on her relationship with Akashi. The metaphor didn't only address her future with the captain. It included whether or not staying in this team would be better for her.

"If I don't do anything, I can still be with everyone," she laughed at her own desperation. Standing beside them should be enough. "However... I don't think I can handle the unfairness of their treatment."

"What do you think?" Kuroko asked. Akahana scoffed. She already told him what she thought though so she was a tad confused. "It's exhausting holding on to a thread bound to snap. It'll be better for everyone if I disappear," she straightened her posture.

Akahana hates pointless things. When something so valuable turns pointless, it's almost too hard to let go. The sixth man sighed. They weren't close enough for him to ask her to stay. "Everyone here wants me though. Not for friendship, for my use. Don't tell me you're here to make me stay too," she joked. There's truth to her words.

Kuroko formed a purported smile, which really is a straight line. He didn't understand how Akahana could do it but he can never bring himself to smile in a situation like this. "I'm not here to do that. You should leave while you can. It's the best course of action, being honest," he told her. Shielding their hearts would be the best advice he can give.

"We're middle school students, we shouldn't be.. we should be like this," she clicked her tongue.

"You're right. You're not even in the mood to eat during class." Akahana didn't love school. The teachers don't even call her name when she's raising her hand since they need others to participate. They just let her eat or do what she wants to make up for it.

"Outrageous, I know."

The brunette's eyes flickered, analyzing the shadow. He's looking at her like that. As if he's been observing her. He does look the same on every single occasion, but she can tell. It's similar to Akashi's. He was the first to bring out another conversation. Kuroko knew he was busted from observing the girl the moment she gave him that glance. "Are you sure you're alright, Akahana-san?"

: : :

It was late evening. You may not believe her but she preferred the day over night. The night is certainly tranquil, compared to the day. That's what she likes most about the day though. The never ending ruckus Karasuno brings. It's not a bad thing. Should it be? The fact they all are good people without major fault comes straight out of an anime, it's weird. She shouldn't hate it, it's still certainly strange. I guess I'm lucky.