19. Barbecue Stick

"Does losing prove you are weak? Isn't losing difficult for all of you? A challenge where, after ending up on your hands and knees, you must see if you can stand up again? If you stay on your hands and knees, that proves you are weak."

- Takeda Ittetsu

~ • ~ • ~ • ~

Sawamura clicked his tongue. They've only won one set and that was because of the first year duo. It was the second day of the camp, the day Akahana promised to meet them.

Everyone was excited to meet the girl, aside from Hitoka who was more anxious than thrilled. Meeting new people was not a thing of hers. It's hard. Especially meeting a person who she hears so much from literally everyone in the campus. Teachers, staff, students, everyone always had something to say about her.

A lot, if not most of them, trash talked about her, saying how she's more or less an arrogant germaphobe who looks down on others. A few praised her for her high marks. Those who met her in her class say she really doesn't care about others. 

Some teachers were annoyed by her skipping school. They didn't complain though. She pays extra tuition and she gets perfect marks. Though that's a minority. Majority of the teachers liked Akahana for being prompt and responsible as a year representative. She even offers help. The staff seem to favor her too, apparently she greets them every morning and helps out in cleaning.

The team says she comes off as rude since she's a blunt individual. Not just straight forward but she's also outspoken, often speaking out her opinion to others making her less than the ideal girl for boys to like. Hitoka tried to stop being nervous. Despite hearing all that, the team gave her plenty of nice adjectives. The only one giving out 'bad stuff' was the salty blonde (Hitoka cdidn't really take his word for it though).

Kageyama and Hinata were ecstatic that she was coming back but they feared an earful from her. She gave them the easiest notes in the world to understand yet they failed. Sure, it was only one subject, but it would still be considered a failure.

The blue eyed boy pouted, to say he wanted to pass every exam was an understatement. He study ridiculously hard trying to pass each test. He wanted to prove to Akahana he can actually attain decent grades, and he wasn't able to do that. He's been asking for her help and he didn't return anything beneficial. The fact he's thought this far was impressive.

Kageyama was glad that Hinata failed with him. At least he didn't have to handle it alone. Still, it didn't make him feel any better that he failed. He wasn't going to forgive himself if Hianta gets to go without him. The volleyball idiots were only thankful that Tanaka's sister, Saeko, for being able to bring them to Tokyo (it wasn't a comfortable ride though).

Currently, their game with Nekoma wasn't going as smoothly as they wanted it to be. Most likely because they had a new player. A huge troublesome player to be exact. 

"Wow! He's at least a hundred and ninety something, so tall for a first year, I'm jealous," the Karasuno volleyball team and the other teams turned to find the source of the boisterous voice. Akaashi froze, is it time already? "Akahana-chan!" The team cried at her sudden appearance.

The girl wasn't in her usual work clothes. Tanaka, Nishinoya and Hitoka were in awe of her outfit. It was modest and fit her frame perfectly. It's a dress, an expensive looking one. Sugawara noticed the tinge of pink on Kageyama's cheeks. He passed the second years' reaction as normal, just not Kageyama's. It's reasonable. 

Lev's eyes trailed the the long blocks giving her the boost of height. "Are you shorter than Yaku-san?" Yaku kicked him harshly. For not only mentioning his height, but comparing someone to his own height. It's rude. "OW!"