34. Macaroons

"There's no shame in falling down. True shame is to not stand up again."

- Midorima Shintarō

"Did you think you can win against me?" She placed down her cards, revealing all face cards and an ace card, furthermore disappointing the doctor.

This was the third game, and she won all three. His chance of not working for the Daimon Family was slim and his pocket was running out of money.

Shinsūke's shoulders slumped. Akahana was slightly perplexed. She didn't see any reason not to be happy about it. They would pay him generously for just staying inside the mansion.

"..." He stayed silent, not answering.

Her bets were expensive. She wins, she gets a couple ten thousand yen. He wins, she will withdraw her bet of him working as the family doctor. He didn't think he'd lose to someone a lot younger than him. In their plays, he was not once close to winning.

A small fond smile broadened across her lips. She was able to gain pocket money to spend for shopping, logically she was excited. She waved the fan of cash, taunting the man. She was usually all about being respectful, but be was the first to be disrespectful so she didn't mind doing the same, even if it was two times worse.

There so many things she could use the gained ninety thousand yen. Main goal was to buy as much food as her heart desires and to share it with Karasuno. Second was to buy clothes or stationery.

The dreamy look on her face annoyed the doctor to his wits ends. However, he couldn't say anything for the sole reason of being the loser.

It wasn't only the look on her face, but including the smile that was widening. It wasn't one of satisfaction, it was taunt, he could see it. Winning the games were boring though, he wasn't much of a gambler himself.

"Don't you feel terrible?" He bitterly asked her.

Akahana pursed her lips, not sure what he meant. There wasn't a reason to feel bad and she herself didn't regret a lot of things.

Before she could ask what he meant by that, he elaborated it for her understanding. "Involving other people into your bet? Draining me out of my money?" She grinned at the question.

Though she did give it thought, she didn't find anything to feel bad about that. She knew it was wrong to involve other people, that was a sure thing but she only did it to get back at what Shintarō did to her.

"I do feel a bit guilty," she admitted quite slowly. His green eyes flickered with something. It wasn't hope. She could recognize that from any where and she knew it wasn't hope. "That I don't feel any remorse."

His hand crumpled the collar of her shirt. Wrinkles appeared, she inhaled abruptly. At first he thought she was scared.

Any young girl would be. He was incredibly tall and wide, it looked like he was about to beat her into a pulp from an outside perspective. She later proved him wrong. "How?!" Her fingers snaked around his wrist. He winced at her powerful grip.

Can a girl her size biologically be this strong? Was what popped into his mind when her fingers squeezed his wrist. He was almost certain he could see his flesh turning a little blue.

"Take your filthy hands off of me, you're a surgeon," she forcefully threw him away. He landed on the floor, crashing on the tiles. The hospital and the mall were the two places she loathed going.

How despicable.

"Can I ask you something, doctor?"

She never thought the day would come when she would say that word with such venom as of it was dirt. If anything, she respected them. They save lives after all.