Prologue

#NewClassicILIB

Prologue

"One of my acquaintances saw you with a woman on a lunch date earlier, Richmond." My mother's voice was ice cold as she started a conversation, which was more like an argument, with my father.

I nibbled on my lower lip. Ibinagsak ko ang aking mga mata sa aking pinggan. Hindi pa ako nakakakalahati, nawalan na ako ng gana.

"Frida, don't start it," my father calmly said as he wiped his mouth with the table napkin. "Can we just talk about this later? Zendaya and Zedrick are here. We are eating dinner."

Nag-angat ako ng tingin kay Kuya Zedrick. His jaw was clenching repeatedly, probably to stop himself from butting in to our parents' argument. He's four years older than me, but we get along well, despite the differences.

"At bakit?" Nanghahamon ang boses ni mommy. "Nahihiya ka sa mga anak natin?"

"Ako ang nahihiya para sa 'yo," sagot ni daddy. "You're just being paranoid again."

"Paranoid?" Mom laughed without any hint of humor. "My friend saw it with her own two eyes! She even sent me a photo of you and your mistress!"

"That's just a client!" Dad lost his patience and raised his voice.

Sa sobrang gulat ko ay halos mapatalon ako sa aking kinauupuan. Napa-angat ako ng tingin kay daddy. The veins on his neck were protruding, while my mother was turning red because of anger. I knew they wouldn't stop any time. They were just getting started.

They would always argue. My mother accused my father of cheating. According to her friend, her reliable source, he was often sighted with women on lunch or dinner dates.

"I told you last night that I have a meeting with a client, Frida." Muling sinubukan ni daddy na kumalma pagkatapos tumaas ang boses.

"Yes! And you lied to me!" Mom finally lost all her control. The dining table rattled when she brought her fist down. "You told me it was a client, but it turned out to be your mistress!"

"God, Frida! How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a mistress?" Daddy was already frustrated.

"Why can't you just be honest?!" Muling hinampas ni mommy at napatayo sa kanyang kinauupuan.

Napapikit ako at muling yumuko. I could feel hot tears pooling inside my eyes. I wanted them to stop fighting already.

"I am being honest, Frida!" sagot ni daddy. "Ikaw itong mas maniniwala pa sa sabi-sabi ng iba kaysa sa akin!"

"So, ano ang gusto mong palabasin? Na ako ngayon ang mali?!"

By the sound of my mother's voice, I knew she was crying out of anger and frustration. The more I didn't want to look up. I didn't want to see her crying.

"I saw the pictures, Richmond! You were so close with your mistress!" she cried, and it was breaking my heart. "Alam mo wala na akong pakialam na may babae ka, pero iyong magsinungaling ka pa sa akin? That's what I couldn't take! That's what I hate the most! I hate you! I hate you! I regret marrying you!"

As my mother walked out of the kitchen, I heard the glass shattered into pieces.

Silence had filled the room, until we heard the banging of the door from the second floor. I was holding my breath because if I'd let it out, it would surely be followed with unending tears. I didn't want to cry anymore. I got tired of it already.

"Really, dad?" my brother broke the silence. "In front me and Zendaya?"

"I tried to stop your mother, Zedrick," dad emphatically said.