Chapter 23

#NewClassicILIB

Chapter 23                                            
Happiness

After how many years since that night, I couldn't believe we were here again. In this dark night, we were two broken souls who met each other. I didn't know if it was a right or wrong timing. But honestly, I was just glad to see him again.

The man I love was hurting and I wanted to be there for him. Though I wasn't really sure if I could be of help to him―if I could make him whole when I was also broken inside, but I'd do my best like what he did before.

He comforted me―years ago―at the same place as where we are tonight. He managed to make me smile when I was feeling down. And when my mother died, he might not be aware that his presence caused me more pain, but I knew he only did that to comfort me―to make me feel like I wasn't alone.

On that starless night sky, he was the only star who tried to shine on me. He tried to give me light, but I was blinded with pain to see it. My world was filled with darkness as I had my eyes closed.

Now that he's the one who needed support and maybe someone to confide to, I would do my best to comfort him and give him back what he had given me. I'd try my best to be the person whom he used to be in my life.

I tried to peek a glance at Isaiah who was still quiet. His back was leaning on the bench's backrest, while he was staring straight into distance.

When I cautiously approached him earlier, I sat on the bench next to his. I didn't dare to sit right next to him. I made sure that to give him enough personal space. He knew me as just a fan, and I didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable.

As I already got a good look at him, I averted my eyes and just stared at the playground. The profound silence reigned between us. Being with him here―with just the two of us―felt awkward, yet surprisingly familiar.

"It's been weeks since I last saw you." Isaiah was the one who broke the silence between us. "You're still on break from the fandom?"

Ngumuso ako. I wasn't really sure how to answer that, so I just said, "You can say that..."

Hindi ko na alam kung ano pa ang dapat kong idagdag na sabihin kaya nanahimik na lamang ako. It was so bold of me to decide to comfort him when I didn't have any idea how to start doing so.

"I didn't know you live in this subdivision..." He found another topic to talk about right away.

I smiled bitterly.

Of course he wouldn't know because he couldn't remember me anymore.

"I've been living here all my life," I told him, my voice soft and quiet.

"We used to live here, too," he said, sharing me a piece of his private life. "I used to come here at night to write songs. It's peaceful here at night."

I know that... Sinabi niya na rin 'yan sa akin noon. He told me that it was his hobby. And that night, when we met for the first time, I became his inspiration. He wrote and composed Smile for me.

"Ganoon ba?" I acted nonchalant―like I didn't know about it.

"Yeah..." His voice became huskier as he whispered.

Once again, the atmosphere was filled with quietness. It made me hear the beating of my heart in full swing. It was getting louder and louder as I drowned deeper into silence, only to be pulled up again to the surface by Isaiah.

"How are you, by the way?" he asked me.

I bit my lower lip. He even had the courage to ask me, when he was also hurting like me. He suddenly reminded me of my brother who would always put me first.