Chapter 19

#NewClassicILIB

Trigger Warning: Reader discretion is advised.

Chapter 19
Collapsed

After the concert, Mr. Joel asked us to stay for the after party. They treated me and Dawn as part of the staffs. However, like my mother, I wasn't in the mood to celebrate. All I wanted to do was to go home and lock myself inside my room.

I had a rough time trying to get through the concert without breaking down. I wanted to commend myself for doing a great job. I was successful in trying to hide my feelings. I managed to dry my tears without letting it fall. No one noticed that I was in pain―but that's okay. I didn't want anyone to know this delusion of mine.

It was almost midnight when we we reached our house. Even though the day was about to end, life didn't give me a chance to rest and gave me another unwanted thoughts to ponder.

Naabutan namin ni mommy si daddy na kakarating lang din sa bahay. His car was just about to enter the gate when we arrived.

"Kauuwi lang ng daddy mo..." sabi iyon ni mommy sa akin, pero parang ayaw niya ring ipadinig sa sobrang hina at rahan ng kanyang boses.

Mabilis na ipinasok ni mommy ang sasakyan sa garahe matapos makagarahe si daddy. He was waiting for us at the garage, standing beside his car.

Once we were parked, my mother didn't waste any time. She immediately turned off the engine, pulled the keys from the ignition, and went out of the car.

Knowing what I would witness, I didn't want to go out of the car. I wanted to stay there and block my ears, but I knew I couldn't avoid the scenario either way. And so, even though it was against me, I opened the door and stepped out the car.

"Where have you been?" bungad na tanong ni mommy kay daddy.

Just by judging her voice, I knew she was about to start a fight again. Alam kong mahirap pigilan ngayon si mommy dahil pagod na pagod siya mula sa trabaho. She would probably release her stress arguing with my father.

"I went out for a drink with Erwin and Dickson," he answered my mother's question right away.

"Is that so?"

Napabuntonghininga si daddy, halatang sawa na rin sa pag-aaway nila ni mommy. "Kahit tanungin mo pa sila. I did go out with them. I'm not lying."

"Then, why didn't you tell me?" nanghahamon na sabi ni mommy. "Sinama mo sila sa mga kalokohan mo?"

Dad frustratedly ruffled his hair, so it became disheveled. "See?!" he suddenly exclaimed. "This is why I didn't bother telling you. Kahit ano namang sabihin ko ay hindi ka pa rin maniniwala sa akin. You will still insist that I met up with my mistress, even though I don't have one."

"So, ano ang gusto mong palabasin? Na kasalanan ko?" Mom sounded so offended.

My father shook his head. "Ayoko nang pag-usapan 'to. Walang patutunguhan na maayos ang usapan natin."

"Richmond, hindi pa tayo tapos mag-usap!" My mother tried to follow my father, but I stopped her and pulled her back to me.

Napigilan ko na sana si mommy, kaya nga lang ay muli siyang hinarap ni daddy.

"Can we please just stop, Frida?" Dad was obviously trying to restrain himself. "Sawang-sawa na ako sa walang katapusang pag-aaway nating dalawa. Puwede bang kahit ngayong gabi lang? I know you're tired and all―"

My mother, seething in anger, managed to retrieve her arm from my hold. She bravely took a step forward to my father.

"Tingin mo ikaw lang ang nagsasawa?" nanggagalaiti niyang tanong kay daddy. "Nagsasawa na rin ako! Pagod na pagod na ako kakaisip, Richmond! Pagod na pagod na!"