Chapter 38

#NewClassicILIB

Chapter 38
Say Yes

I took a sit on a vacant table after I got my drink from the barista. Just as I was about to sip on my iced latte, my phone vibrated because of the message I got from Isaiah.

It had been almost a month since Isaiah declared that he was already courting me. He would always drive me to and from work. During the weekends, he would visit me at home to hangout with me. Sometimes, he would guide me as I drove around the subdivision to hone my driving skills more.

Since then, I've been looking forward to start a new day and end it with him. It's like my day is not complete without having him around.

However, I know it isn't something that I should take for granted. I shouldn't get used to it. I have to be grateful for every second he's giving me. Once their break ends, I know I couldn't be with him all the time. We both have other priorities to give our time to.

Biting my lip to suppress a smile, I opened my phone and read his text message.

From: Isaiah
Are you with Jerlyn now?

I immediately typed my reply to him.

To: Isaiah
Not yet. Medyo na-traffic daw siya.

Isaiah and I were supposed to hangout today, but when I told him that Jerlyn wanted to meet me, he yielded right away. He told me that we could meet some other time. But earlier, he arrived at our house to drive me here, and he would pick me up later as well.

I agreed to that because I also wanted to spend time with Jerlyn. She'd been so busy with her internship that I missed her already. We had so much to catch up on each other's lives.

"Zendaya?"

Struck by the familiarity of the voice I heard, I snapped my head up from my phone and saw Ida Mallari right in front of me. I quickly stood up in surprise.

"Ida..." I uttered her name.

Ida smiled at me, somehow resembling his brother. "Are you alone?"

"Uh... May hinihintay lang ako," sabi ko sa kanya.

She glanced on the vacant chair in front of mine then asked, "Do you mind if I sit with you for a while?"

"No, no," I replied right away.

"Thank you," she said. "May hinihintay rin kasi ako."

Ngumiti na lamang ako at hindi na nagsalita pa. Sabay kaming naupo ni Ida. Mayroon siyang dalang inumin na nilapag niya sa lamesa.

Ida looked so comfortable, while I was slightly uneasy. Her presence made me nervous. I wondered if she knew something between me and her brother. Isaiah didn't tell me anything, and I didn't ask about it as well.

"Si Kuya ba ang hinihintay mo?"

Halos masamid ako sa diretsahang tanong sa akin ni Ida. I consciously looked at her again. Magaang ang kanyang tingin sa akin, ngunit hindi ko alam kung bakit kabadong-kabado ako.

"Uh, h-hindi," nauutal kong sagot. "I'm waiting for my best friend."

The corner of her lips lifted up in a crooked grin. "You don't have to hide it from me," she told me. "I know that there's something between you and my brother."

Even though I was anxious, I still managed to wear a smile on my face.

"I actually really want to talk to you," she added and bit her lower lip a bit. "I want to apologize."