Chapter 31

#NewClassicILIB

Chapter 31
Just Like That

It was unexpected that a lot of acquaintances wanted to take pictures with me, as soon as the graduation rites ended. And of course, as I didn't want to be rude, I stayed and mingled for a while before going back to my family.

I was allowed to bring four guests, so aside from my father and Kuya Zedrick, I also invited Jerlyn and Ate Allison. Actually, I was also planning to invite Isaiah, but there was a conflict of schedule.

Yesterday, they performed in one of the biggest music festivals in the world. Sa pagkakaalam ko ay nasa flight pa lang sila pauwi sa Pilipinas ngayon. They would be arriving at dusk. However, even though they were free, I still couldn't have him here. A lot of people would surely recognize him. I didn't want to cause him any trouble.

As I was enlightened by my father's realizations the other day, I had decided to just let my feelings flow freely without inhibitions. No fear of pain and heartbreaks. Whatever happens will happen according to what He has planned for me. I'll accept it with no regrets. That's how life goes anyways. The best thing to do is to just cope up with it and move forward.

"Are you done now?" bungad sa akin ni Kuya Zedrick nang makalapit ako sa kanila. He looked so bored already.

Tumango ako at medyo naawa sa kapatid. Mabuti na lang at nandito si Ate Allison.

"Wait." Dad passed the camera to Jerlyn. "Please, take us a photo, Jerlyn."

Pagkatanggap ni Jerlyn sa camera ay mabilis na lumapit si daddy. He wrapped his arm on my shoulder to draw me closer. Napangiti naman ako kay daddy.

I didn't face the camera yet. Instead, I put my graduation cap on top of his head carefully, which caught him by surprised. I only smiled to him.

"Thank you for working hard, daddy," I sincerely expressed my gratitude.

I knew that my father pushed himself hard to work and give us a comfortable life. We might not be that well-off, but we could live a life without worrying about our expenses, and I could have any material thing that I wanted to own.

My father got teary-eyed a bit, but he just shook his head and smiled back. "I'm sure your mother is proud of you."

Jerlyn quickly snapped a photo of us and before we could leave the place, I also asked for a photo with daddy and Kuya Zedrick. Both of them stood awkwardly beside me.

My brother still wasn't in good terms with our father. I planned to tell him the truth behind daddy's alleged affairs, but daddy asked me not to. He wanted to be the one to talk to Kuya Zedrick. However, he wouldn't rush it. Hahayaan niyang maging bukas muna ulit ang loob sa kanya ni Kuya. Ayaw niyang piliting makinig si Kuya dahil baka hindi lang sila makaintindihan. He said he would wait for the right time.

"Let's go to your mom now," nakangiting pag-aya ni daddy nang matapos na kami sa pagpi-picture at matapos ibalik ang toga at graduation cap.

Instead of celebrating my graduation in fancy buffets and restaurants, I asked daddy to celebrate it with my mother. Ang simpleng salo-salo ay gaganapin sa museleo. I don't need a grand celebration. My only wish was to be with my mother on the day I graduated.

We went on separate cars to the memorial park. My brother was driving his car with Ate Allison, while Jerlyn came with us on my dad's car. Napakunot naman ang noo ko nang mapansing tuloy-tuloy lang ang aming biyahe.

"Daddy, hindi na po ba tayo titigil para bumili ng take-out?" tanong ko.

He quickly glanced at me on the backseat through the rear view mirror. He shook his head and curled his lips upwards. "No need," he replied. "I already had someone to take care of it."