XXIV PT. III

Once they arrived to the bar that was in the heart of downtown, the thing that caught her eyes immediately was the building next to it that had a sign in the window that said 'Psychic Readings'

She grabbed Lenny's arm and pulled him in the direction of the building that gave psychic readings.

"Let's go here first. I've always wanted to see a psychic!"

Lenny looked at her with a scowl. "I don't know, Naia. I find these type of places creepy."

"Please. Live a little! You're beginning to sound like my dad. If you want, you don't even have to get a reading. You can just be there for moral support."

He hesitated for a moment before ultimately agreeing. She led him into the entrance of the building. When they walked inside, the bell above the door chimed. The inside was dark and filled with candles. Naia felt as though some psychics was a scam, but that never stopped her desire to see one.

"This place is freaking me out." Lenny responded looking around at the establishment.

"Your mind is just playing tricks on you, pretty boy."

In the middle of the room on a stand was a huge book. It looked like a book that was used in the show 'Charmed' she wanted to flip through the pages so bad, but she controlled her urges.

"Who do we have here?" A woman with a strong island accent interrupted.

"Wait don't tell me." Her hands rubbed against her temples as she closed her eyes. "You twose goes by Naia and Leonard, don't you?"

Naia and Lenny looked at each other then back at the heavy set woman before them and answered 'yes' in sync with each other.

"Just like I thought. I go by Edmée. How may I help you both today?"

"I'm here for a casual reading. I've never done this before and thought it would be fun."

"Knowing the future can be scary yet exciting at the same time. Before we begin, it's important you have an open mind. — I know you think I am a flute, but let me tell you now, I in no shape or form look like or talk like Miss Cleo. With all that being said, if you're still interested in a reading, follow me."

Lenny and Naia looked at each other again before following behind Edmée into the back room. The curtains that led to the other room were shiny red curtains. Like the front of the shop, the back was dark too, but not too dark. Edmée sat behind a round table and gestured for Naia to sit in front of her. Doing as she was instructed, Naia did just that. Still creeped out, Lenny stood beside Naia with his arms crossed against his chest.

Edmée held her hands out against the table. Figuring she needed to take Edmée's hands, Naia put her hands in Edmée's hands.

Edmée's eyes closed and she shook her head from side to side. Naia thought she was being pretty dramatic and tried to suppress a laugh.

"Ah... I see..." Edmée began. "I see you're at a crossroads in your life right now. You love your job, but you feel your time in that field will be ending soon. ..... I also see changes coming into her future soon..."

So far, she was pretty amazed at what the psychic was telling her, especially the part about her being at a crossroads about her career. That's not something she had talked about with anyone. But the last part of Edmée's prediction made her feel a bit anxious.

"Changes? What kind of changes?"

".... I see an event taking place in your life that will change your life drastically. It will leave you shattered. It will affect both of you as a matter of fact."

Upon hearing that prediction, Naia decided that was enough and snatched her hands from Edmée's embrace. Now SHE was beginning to feel creeped out just like Lenny was feeling. As she removed her hands from Edmée's hands, her eyes opened.

"You need to make every minute count with the ones you love."

Naia stood from the chair and stared over at the psychic in front of her.

"What is that supposed to mean?" She asked.

"Exactly what it sounds like Naia. ..... Oh, and I would advise you not to go over to that bar next door. You're expecting." Edmée responded in almost a condescending way.

At that point, Naia had heard enough. She ran from out the back.

"Naia, wait!" Lenny shouted.

Before he would follow behind her, he gave the psychic reader fifty five dollars and sprinted out of the building to catch up with Naia.

When he caught up with her, she was standing by their car with her back to him. He laid his hand against her back.

"I told you psychics are creepy."

Unamused, she turned around and stepped on his toe. He winced and bent down to rub his throbbing toe.

"That's not funny, Leonard! She was talking as if I'm going to die! On top of that, she said—she said I'm..." Her words were broken as she tried to take in everything that was said to her. "Leonard, she said I'm pregnant."

Lenny was still rubbing his toe she had stepped on. He was actually quite pissed and just wanted to go home.

"You're not pregnant, Naia." He finally answered, as he stood up. "And you sure as hell ain't going to die. Psychics come up with the most ridiculous predictions for shock value. Don't believe that shit."

She wanted to believe what he was saying was true, but she just couldn't help but feel Edmée was right with her predictions. Even if SHE wasn't going to die, that means someone close to her was going to. Then there's the news of her being pregnant. That kinda scared her more than anything.

"Are we still going to the bar or do you want to just head home."

Instead of answering, she just vomited on the sidewalk. Lenny turned away from the sight with a disgusted look on his face.

"On second thought... let's get you home to rest."