36 ; Dark past

October 01, 2018

For the past couple of weeks, two weeks to be exact, Tzuyu had acted nothing but sweet and gentle with me. She would always ask my opinions about certain things and would most of the time consider my wants more than her own.

The most simplest and smallest things she does made me reconsider the deal with Mr. Chou, but there was still this little bit of doubt in my heart.

"Tzuyu, where are we going?" I nervously asked her as she bolt-cut wires of metal inside a private property. "We'll get caught," I silently hissed.

"We won't," she chuckled, split opening the wires and encouraging me to go to the other side. "Go on," she nod her head.

"What if-"

She cut me off when she entered the large hole that she made. "It's okay. Everything's fine. Don't you trust me?"

Do I trust her? For the past couple of days, she hadn't done anything but to make me trust her.

"I do," I rolled my eyes, entering after her.

She gently but eagerly grabbed me by my right arm, pulling me towards the large white building that looked like a headquarter of the CIA or something like that.

"Where are we exactly?" I silently asked as she lightly pushed me behind a wall, stopping for a second.

"A private hospital," she said.

"A what? Why are we here?"

"Come on," she pulled me on the other side of the wall where ambulance and other expensive looking vehicles were parked.

We then reached a two metal type army green doors and she pushed them open. We were faced with a long white hallway like the ones in the hospital.

"I want you to meet someone," she whispered, completely out of her own mind.

"Who?"

She didn't answer. We entered several doors and turn around in every hallway we passed by.

"Tzuyu, I'm scared.." I told her, seeing nothing around but white walls.

"Don't be. No one really passes by in here since this is the long-cut to the main area and this is sort of the escape route when shit happens,"

"Who are we going to see?"

"You're one curious child, aren't you?" She chuckled as we started passing by rooms and the areas started becoming brighter than the last. "You'll see in a second,"

I groaned as we quietly as possible head our way to the end of the hall. "But this is trespassing," I complained, looking behind me to see if someone is following us.

"Basically... but not really," she teased. "Visiting hours finished like two hours ago,"

I groaned once again. "I don't want to go to jail," I whined.

She laughed silently, kissing my head as she pull me closer to her. Both her arms wrapped around my body as we walk side by side.

When we reached the room on the end of the hallway, she made me face a giant glass overlooking the room inside.

She pointed inside. "That's my mom," she sadly smiled.

There inside was her mom, connected with many tubes and wires all over her body.

I felt goosebumps around my arms and even on the back of my neck as I see a woman laying lifeless on the hospital bed.

"Tzuyu," I croaked out, tears stated pooling up on my eyes. "I- what hap... happened?"

She shrugged, letting go of me as she lean her forehead on the glass looking at her mom brokenheartedly.

"I want you to meet her," was all she said.

After minutes of silence, she lifts her head but never let her gaze move away from her mom.

"She's been like that since I was... nine? All I wanted was to talk to her but she doesn't speak back, y'know.."

I choked, wiping the tears that had escaped my eyes. "You were so.. so young," I croaked out.

"Car accident," she mumbled, "with Momo's parents,"

I remembered Momo telling me both her parents died in a car accident... but I didn't know Tzuyu's mom was included. Momo was only thirteen, and Tzuyu was nine. It must be hard, really hard for the both of them and their families especially that they were so young and innocent.

"Wait," realization hit me. If Tzuyu's mom had been like this since she was nine it means... "your mom had been like this for more than a decade?"

"Eleven years to be exact," she vulnerably mentioned. "Eleven years of false hope and broken promises,"

"I'm... I'm so sorry, Tzuyu.."

She shrugged sadly. "I hope she wakes up. I miss her, I miss her cooking and her smile and her laugh," she paused. "just everything about her,"

"It's good that you can still remember things about her," I mumbled, intertwining my left hand with her right hand.

"For the past couple of years, she's been in and out of coma.. and would experience flat line. Thankfully, the- the doctors were able to revive her every time," she looked at our intertwined hands, smiling at it. "After the accident, I couldn't really remember things about her but luckily I regained some memories of her back,"

Wait, what?

"What?" My eyes widen.

"I think it was hard to recover from all the injuries I got back then, but it was harder to get over what my mom had been through," she sighed. "Emotional pain hurts a lot than physical pain,"

"You were..." I breathed out, looking at her in surprise. "You were in..."

Before I can even finish my sentence, a dark skinned woman in a white coat saw us. "Hey!" She shouted on the other end of the hallway. "You're not supposed to be in here-"

Tzuyu then started running down the hallway, her hand still enclosed with mine as I keep up with her. We ran pass by the woman which seemed like a doctor.

And in that moment, I was slightly happy but overwhelmed to see Tzuyu lightly laughing as the doctor chase us out of the hospital.

She has a dark past and I need to be there for her.