Flight 03 - Wilco

Wilco

One of the standard phrases to use, whenever possible, which should be used in radiotelephony communications, Wilco is the abbreviation for "will comply" that equates to "I understand your message and will comply with it."
*In my opinion, "wilco" is seldom used between ATC and a pilot. ATC prefers his message to be read back by the pilot for double checking. But, to be honest, I used "wilco" during the first flights when I started flight training in instances that ATC had given a lengthy message.
Example:
ATC: "RPC-3446, join mid-downwind following Cessna on late downwind. You are number three. Report when established. Be on the lookout."
Beginner me: "Wilco, 3446."
And how angry my FI was at that time, causing him to report back the message instead. Afterwards, a long array of curses and scolding that it should be this or that.
Better yet, if the information is too long, read back the part of the message that is important.
Now me: "Join mid-downwind following Cessna on late downwind. Will report when established and be on the lookout, 3446."

———

The room is slowly filled with more and more seniors who come in groups. Most of them, nakasuot na ng pambahay. No doubt na mga naka-stay din sa dorms. And I start to fidget, noong sinabi na we need to introduce ourselves. Not only that, but to also answer a series of questions as well.

State your name. Age. Province. Course and college. Why WAA? Why flying? And if you'll be a bird, what and why? The catch, hindi pwede umulit na mabanggit 'yong same bird.

Nauna si Nikki Macrohon. Tapos si Carina Guevara, and si Rylie Guinto, tapos ako. And as one by one that the animals are being said, it is a good catch that no one manage to hint that of mine.

When Rylie finished, I head to the center of the circle and takes a shaky breath. Inisip ko na lang na this is just like a speech contest na madalas kong nasasalihan noong high school at college. I then start and smile softly. "Good evening, sirs. Good evening, ma'ams. My name is Mayumi Phoebe Bonifacio."

I hear remarks upon hearing my name. Sanay na ako when they comment about my last name. Asking me if I came from the bloodline of Andres Bonifacio. That one, I can say, might or might not be true. Dahil magulo din family tree ko sa side ni lolo. Anyway, I continue.

"Twenty years old. Born and raised in Cavite. Graduate of BS Air Transportation from PATTS College of Aeronautics."

Another time, it earns a remark from the rest when one states, "PATTS." And in an echo, everyone in the room starts to say the same like some chant. It startles me.

Tristan, who've been sitting in a monobloc chair across from me with a senior woman and man on the other side, assures me, "Ganito lang dito sa WAA. Kapag taga-PATTS. You'll get used of it."

I bite my lower lip for a moment and nod. I continue answering the question kung bakit WAA and bakit flying. And finally, my spirit animal. "If I'll be a bird, I'll be a nightingale. Aside from flying and aviation, isa sa mga passion ko is music. I don't sing, but I play the piano and the violin."

They are about to comment na mag-sample ako, pero I immediately say it na hindi ako kumakanta. At least, alam nila. Hindi ko na rin sinabi na marunong ako mag-gitara dahil may nakita akong gitara sa may double-deck na bed at baka matuluyan ang sample kung ganoon. And like the rest, noong natapos ako, everyone in the room claps and says, "Thank you, Ma'am Bonifacio."

Bumalik ako sa pwesto ko. Sumunod naman pagkatapos ko si Christine Medel, tapos si Ange Valdez. Then, the boys: Eli Buenconsejo, Leo Garcia, Zander Agcaoili, Kael Martinez, Vincent Galiciana, Marcus Ladera, Axel Lagman, Charles Labugen, Cristofer Monceda, Spencer Catinig, Sage Martinez, Erick Suarez, Philipp Cordero, and finally, Venti Guy.