10 most common Google Search: "Do Pilots..."

Because of my boredom, I end up doing this Google search, of what is the common questions asked about pilots. And below, I came up with this. So, I'll be answering this ones as a bonus trivia about pilots. Bear with me since I'll try to answer these questions based on my current knowledge.

 Bear with me since I'll try to answer these questions based on my current knowledge

1. Do pilots sleep?

Answer: Of course, we do! We're still human. But, kidding aside, sleep is a very important matter for us pilots. Kapag sinabi ko na important matter siya, I mean it to heart. Too important that there's even a rule for it; or rather, about sa "rest period". Nakasulat sa batas that pilots should have at least eight hours of period of rest. See number 2 for an elaborate answer. But for this one, yes, pilots do sleep. And again, it is an important matter for us pilots.

# # #

2. Do pilots have days off?

Answer: Again, yes, we do. And again, we have a written law for this. Or rather, may batas about sa number of flying hours or duty na pwede lang namin liparin. For a day, we're only allowed to fly for eight hours; 30 hours in a week; 100 hours in a month; and 1,000 hours in a year-though there are leeways for this as per company standards. So, paano 'yong days off? I'll go into detail on the succeeding paragraph.

Given that today's a Wednesday and I have today as a day off. Tomorrow, Thursday, I have a flight of eight hours. The following day, Friday, I have another eight hours flight. By Saturday, another eight hours. And by Sunday, only a six hours flight. Why only six hours for the fourth day kahit eight hours pwede per day? Because, it will be a total of 32 hours, and 30 hours lang pwede for a week.

So, should I wait another Thursday to fly again? The answer to that is no. After Sunday with that six hours flight, I'll need to rest for at least one day. The following day after that rest day, Tuesday, I am again allowed to fly for eight hours until the 30 hours needed for a week. In short, the 30 hours in a week means continuous days of flying. Hindi necessary that the week begins on a Sunday or Monday or whatever day.

How about if the flight is more than 8 hours? Like 15 hours or 17 hours? That's why, sa airlines, madalas 4 to 5 ang pilots for long-cross flights or transcontinental flights. How do they do that? Usually, a captain or the pilot in command and a first officer are on their respective seats for the take-off. During cruising, magpapalitan sila with the other two pilots. By landing, kung sino 'yong pilots for take-off will be on their seats again. So, yes. Pilots rest even during flight in order na hindi ma-violate 'yong law regarding sa 8 hours per day na rule. Hence, for transcontinental flights, these pilots and the rest of the crew stay for about two to three days as part of their rest period.

# # #

3. Do pilots need visas?

Answer: According to my researches and interview with my GIs now on the airlines and SFIs, visas are usually not required. Especially if as pilots and crew, magbababa and magsasakay lang kayo ng passengers and goods, and you're all heading back; since you're basically going to stay on the plane preparing for the next flight than to deal with the immigration and stay in that country. Sometimes, all that the immigration officers asked the pilots and the crew is a letter from their employment and a valid passport.