10: Hiko's Teacher

Hiko was chatting with Jinora on the steps leading to the temple. Korra was out with Mako and Bolin but Hiko came to the temple ready for training. Jinora was outside the temple at that time waiting for Hiko to come. She was amazed by his duel with Korra yesterday. He seemlesly dodged multiple lightning bolts coming from the Avatar without breaking a sweat. Even when he was caught by Korra's Lightning he redirected it in midair effortlessly.

"How did you move like that yesterday? You were so agile!" Jinora exclaimed still remembering how Hiko moved.

"My father taught me everything I know. Without his teaching I could never be able to do all that stuff."

"He must be amazing, why don't you invite him over sometime?" Jinora asked.

"I can't, he's gone." Hiko dropped his head, his hair falling on his face.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Jinora put a hand on Hiko's shoulder to which Hiko flinched. Jinora retracted her hand immediately.

"I'm sorry, I just don't get that alot." Hiko said while sniffling.

"Can I ask how?" Jinora knew she was prying a little bit but she felt that Hiko needed to vent.

"Maybe another time." Hiko stood up and walked away without another word or look at Jinora.

"Wait! Where are you going?" Jinora stood up and was reaching for Hiko's arm.

"Tell Korra I'll come back tomorrow. I'm going home." Hiko continued walking back to the boat. Jinora knew she can't stop him so she let him go.

It was sunset, a little bit of sunlight was pouring into the room highlighting the thin layers of dust that have gathered in the room. Hiko entered the room with a bag of food and a sour mood. The whole journey from Air Temple Island he had been thinking about his father. He hated thinking about it, but Jinora unconviently brought it up. It had been 3 years since his Father died but the wounds were still fresh. He ate his roast duck and started preparing some tea. After drinking his evening tea he sat on the floor of his tiny apartment to meditate, his distance from his bed and the door equal. He had done this everyday since he was  seven but today he found it rather difficult. Everytime he closed his eyes he would see it. Blood seeping into the carpet, a lifeless body it's source, and his mother sobbing uncontrollably. Once one tear broke free the rest were inevitable. He let himself fall on the dusty, cold floor sobbing just as his mother did.

Sounds of the bustling city street soon began filling the small apartment. Hiko hated waking up, it reminded him where he lived and how much he hated being there. His body ached as he got up from his awkward sleeping position. He lifted his upper body slowly before realizing he had fallen asleep on the floor. Groaning, he got up and walked to his small kitchen to brew some tea.

It was early in the morning but the sounds outside made it feel like it was already noon. He sat down on his rickety couch while sipping on his tea, his eyes drifting to his coffee table. On it was a small book he had been reading the other night. He stared at it for a little while before picking it up and leaving the room.