29: A Beautiful Sunrise

Hiko woke up early in the morning, his driver was supposed to arrive at 9 in the morning. He got up stretching his back, groaning. The sun was barely risen when he had woken up. Hiko grabbed his coat and made his way to the door. He opened it to see Jinora standing there in the doorway with her hand up just about to knock.

"Oh! You're awake." Jinora mustered a small smile, her eyes drooping.

"You seem to only be half-awake. What were you doing?"

"I was just about to knock, I wanted to spend some time with you before you left." Hiko couldn't help but smile at what Jinora said.

They made their way to the outside of the temple, each with a cup of green tea in their hand. Yawning, Jinora sat on the steps of the temple providing a clear and beautiful view of the sunrise. Hiko sat down next to her, careful not to spill his tea.

"It's beautiful." Jinora was looking at the sunrise while sipping on her tea.

"It is." Hiko had her eyes on Jinora, who was still taking in the sunrise.

"Hiko, will you come back?" Jinora was still staring at the sunrise, trying to avoid Hiko's gaze. Hiko thought about how he'd answer this.  He didn't know how long he'd be gone or if he'd ever return at all. After a few moments of silence, Hiko answered.

"I will." Jinora finally took her eyes off the sunrise and into Hiko. She smiled widely, before resting her head on Hiko's shoulder.

"What about you? Do you have any plans in the future?" Hiko asked Jinora.

"Well, first of all I have to get my tatoos, but dad doesn't want that. He still thinks I'm not a master." Jinora said with a slight sourness to her voice

"You'll get them one day. I mean you're an amazing Airbender, I'm sure you'll prove yourself to Tenzin." It was true, Hiko always loved watching Jinora Airbend, she was graceful and smooth. She was also the smartest person he knew, everytime they'd talk he'd always feel inferior to Jinora. But beside this, he loved everytime he spent time with Jinora, especially now. "I'll miss training Korra in Air temple Island."

"I'll miss watching you train Korra." Jinora smiled slightly at herself.

Hiko had packed all of his belongings into his suitcase. He had just eaten his favorite breakfast, salmon with miso soup, which Tenzin prepared for him. He had just finished tying his shoes when he heard a knock on the door.

"Hey." Jinora peeked her head in.

"Oh... hey." Hiko stood up to meet Jinora at the doorway.

"Your driver's here, dad told me to get you."

"Yeah, I'm ready." Hiko picked up his suitcase.

"Let's go." Jinora looked down at the floor before walking out, followed by Hiko.

They made their way to the Living room where the Airbenders stood there, all looking at Hiko with a look of gratefulness. Hiko made a small wave to the Airbenders, particularly at Akira who winked at him while returning his wave.

Jinora and Hiko stepped out of the temple, being greeted by the warm sun. Kai stood beside Tenzin who smiled at Hiko before walking up to him and giving him a hug.

"Goodluck." Tenzin said to Hiko before stepping back.

"Goodluck Hiko." Kai hugged Hiko, which even to Hiko's surprise didn't make him flinch. He leaned into it and got close to Kai's ear.

"Take care of her for me." Hiko whispered to Kai before letting go.

Jinora lead Hiko to the car where a driver was waiting for Hiko.

The two looked at each other, trying to find the right words to say. Jinora strecthed out her clasped hand.

"It's for you." Hiko held Jinora's hand and received the item she was holding onto. It was a small necklace consisting of wooden beads, a leather knot connecting it. Hiko stared at the necklace in his hand. "You're now an honorary member of the Air Nomads."

"Goodluck Hiko." Jinora said quietly, her head bowed down.

"I'll miss you Jinora." Hiko lifted Jinora's head to look at her face before giving her a hug, Jinora letting out a few sobs before seperating.

Hiko walked to the car, opening the door putting his suitcase in first before stepping inside himsef. He looked out the window, seeing Tenzin and Kai both giving him approving looks. His eyes went to Jinora, who was wiping her eyes of a few tears. The feeling of guilt sunk in more than it had before, seeing Jinora like that. Jinora's necklace was still in Hiko's hands, holding onto it tightly. The car drove away, the temple, Tenzin, Kai, and Jinora getting smaller as Hiko looked out the car's window. It hurt, but he knew it was the right choice.