38: Catch and Release

Jianjun circled Hiko as he tried to sense him. He was blindfolded and couldn't see anything. When he heard a twig break behind him, he spun around and threw a wild hook which completely missed Hiko, making him tumble toward the floor.

"Come on Jian, I stepped on that twig on purpose."

"Can we not do this with blindfolds?" Jianjun stood up and wiped the dirt off his pants. "Besides the person who's teaching me isn't that bad."

"Who's teaching you? If it's a middle-aged depressing-looking man, then maybe you should reconsider this whole dojo thing."

"No, she's pretty... good!" Jianjun turned around, hiding his blush.

"It's a she, huh? Whatever." Hiko giggled.

"Just get the mitts!" Jianjun shouted.

Hiko sighed. "Fine. No need to shout at me." The boy ran back to the house leaving Jianjun in the backyard. It was a free day for both of them. Jianjun didn't have training today and Hiko's next mission wouldn't be until tomorrow which he was thrilled about after getting the letter about it from Junko. Hiko wondered what the dojo had been teaching his older brother so he decided to test him.

Hiko ran back to the backyard carrying his pair of mitts, which he put on and raised them up to Jianjun's level.

"Alright, do the combo."

Jianjun threw a jab followed by a cross then to a lead hook. Hiko looked unimpressed.

"Feather fists punches harder than you, which is saying a lot."

"Feather fis-?" Jianjun quickly weaved below Hiko's hook which barely grazed his hair.

"Focus." Hiko trained Jianjun for the rest of the day, commenting on everything he was seeing.

"God, I'm getting bored, I hope my mission tomorrow's exciting." Hiko smiled as he ate his pork.

"Hey, don't do anything too dangerous."

"I can hadle it Jianjun." Hiko heard a knock on the door. "I'll get it." He walked to the door and opened it, the delivery man stood there reading off a letter.

"Mr. Hiko, right? Here you go." He handed the small envelope and walked away. Hiko opened it and read the letter inside.

Dear Hiko,

During this time of high expectations, I would like to take the opportunity to invite you to dinner after your mission with the task force tomorrow. Please bring your half-brother as well, it would be a pleasure to meet him.

I look forward to your participation.

-Clan Head Iatsu

"Looks like we're going to a dinner party." Hiko sat down back on the table, handing the letter to Jianjun. After reading it, Jianjun smiled but it quickly faded.

"We should be a little bit cautious Hiko. I'm sure Iatsu knows you're taking his spot once you turn 16."

"Don't be crazy. Besides, what's he gonna do to me? Junko's here to protect me." Hiko insisted.

"I'm just saying be careful."

"So, you all know the plan, once they come. We attack on sight. We cannot let them pass." Junko had explained to them for the nth time. This mission was a lot more important than Hiko's last one. They got intel that there were a bunch of Red Lotus members coming to the village to find out where the hideout was. "These people can be any kind of benders. We must treat them as a threat. Once you have the chance, pull the trigger."