11: The Book

Korra was performing a sequence that Hiko had taught her for 30 minutes now. She was exhausted but Hiko wouldn't let her stop. Whenever she complained the kid would just brush her off with a flick of his hand. Hiko was sitting on the temple stairs barely paying any attention to Korra. He was reading the book he had brought to the temple that day. Jinora was sitting beside him observing Korra while looking to her side to Hiko time to time. Hiko was deeply engulfed by what he was reading, recognizing his father's handwriting. Another loud roar came from the training grounds as Korra had finished the sequence for the nth time. Panting, she approached Hiko with a sour look on her face.

"You weren't even looking!" Korra raised up her arms in exclamation while looking down at her 'teacher'.

"What! I was watching you!" He took his eyes off the book and immediately went back. "Do it again." He brushed off Korra.

"What are you even reading anyway?" Korra asked now looking at the small book Hiko was clutching.

"It's a book, Korra." Hiko said sarcastically, Jinora giggling.

"What's in it?" Korra asked pointing at the book.

"Words."

"Just tell me!" Korra crossed her arms angrily. Hiko knew she was getting angry.

"It's a book from my Father." Hiko said while still looking at the book, not reading anymore.

Korra and Jinora had the same look on their faces, curious but hesitant.

Hiko continued.

"He wrote it himself, you see he taught me everything I know. This book contains everything he taught me and everything he never got to teach me. He started writing it when he was young and discovered he had a talent in Lightningbending."

"Woah... so why are you reading it?" Jinora asked.

"I wanted to... refresh myself." Hiko said in a matter-of-a-fact tone.

"Can I see? If you don't mind." Korra added quickly.

"Yeah sure."

Hiko handed the book to Korra which she skimmed through. It contained many advanced techniques, some she even thought impossible.

"A lightning ball? That's possible?" Korra asked surprised.

"With enough training, yes."

"Can you do it?" Jinora asked with wide eyes.

"I haven't really mastered it yet." Hiko said with a slight embarassement.

"We should try it together." Korra said offering a hand to Hiko.

"Another time, you still haven't mastered your stances." Hiko took Korra's hand and stood up.

"I can't master it if my teacher can't even watch me do it and help me improve." Korra said.

Hiko blushed and cleared his throat.

"You're right. I'll teach you the next thing on the book." Hiko said, opening the book.