12: Party Invitation

"There'll be a party in honor of you, Korra, the President wishes for all of us to attend." Tenzin was talking to everyone at the table.

"I'm guessing he wants me there so that he can tell the media that he was on my side all along." Korra was toying with her vegetables. The thought of a party brought Korra a mixed bag of emotions. She really needed some rest, Hiko had been pushing her even more now that they were practicing more advanced techniques. She was now learning Lightning Redirection, but she can't confirm she can actually do it because Hiko refused to hit her with Lightning. A party would definitely help her relax. At the same time, she didn't want the President to get away with ignoring her warnings from the start. If he had stepped in earlier Unalaq would have been stopped. Now she had to deal with the spirit vines and people who have no homes because of what happened.

"Come on Korra! You've been exhausting yourself with helping out civilians and practicing Lightningbending with that Hiko boy. A party doesn't sound too bad." Asami reasoned with Korra.

"I guess it wouldn't be too bad to unwind for a while." Korra figured a night of partying would put her in a better mood. "When is it?"

"It's this Friday," Tenzin replied.

"So all of us are coming?" Korra asked.

"Yes."

"Can I invite someone?"

"Who?" Tenzin asked suspiciously.

----

"Damn it Korra! You have to continue the motion even in the air!" Hiko shouted at Korra as she walked back to him.

"I can't seem to get it right! It's very complicated." Korra wiped off her sweat before sitting down beside Jinora. Hiko stood up to face his student.

"Watch."

Hiko dipped his legs low with both his arms stretched to the side. Taking a deep breath he made the identical circling motion he had taught Korra on their first day. But before he finished the motion, he launched himself into the air with yellow streaks following him. In mid-air, he rotated his body and then released the lightning in front of Korra. Jinora was smiling in awe the whole time, luckily Hiko had practiced doing Lightningbending with closed eyes whenever Jinora came to watch.

Hiko landed and returned to his beginning stance finally opening his eyes seeing Korra pouting and Jinora smiling widely.

"Now you do it, remember that in mid-air your body has to be rotating. Your arms must still be continuing the circling motion and your stance has to be flexible but centered." Hiko helped Korra up before stepping back to give Korra some space. "Breathe in and out, remember to focus yourself," Hiko advised Korra who was in the beginning stance. Korra mimicked Hiko's circling motion before launching herself into the air. Extending her arm, Lightning came from her fingertips stopping just in front of Hiko. Korra landed with a satisfied but exhausted face.

"Alright, that's enough for today. You did well." Hiko placed a hand on Korra's shoulder which he had to reach for, being shorter than Korra.

"Hey Hiko, do you have plans this Friday?" Korra took her towel and began wiping her face with it.

"Not really." Hiko picked up his book on the stairs.

"The President is throwing a party in celebration of Unalaq's defeat and he wanted us to come. I was wondering if you wanted to come along too?"

Hiko had never gone to a party before. He never wanted to. Just imagining being one of the hundreds of half-sober people all cramped up in one room bumping into each other and 'partying' gave Hiko a very sick feeling.

"I've never been to a party before and I don't think I want to start now."

"Come on Hiko! It'll be fun!" Jinora chimed in standing up in front of Hiko.

"I don't know, I don't really have the best reputation." Hiko pursed his lips.

"Tenzin already gave me permission to ask you to come. He also asked the President and he said he was fine with it." Korra shrugged at Hiko hoping he would finally submit. With a sigh, Hiko nodded.

"Fine, I'll meet you there on Friday." Hiko with his book in his hands walked to the boat.

"Wait Hiko!" Hiko heard someone call him from behind. He looked behind him and saw Jinora running up to him.

"Yeah? Did I leave something?" Hiko asked curiously.

"No, I wanted to ask you. Do you want to be my date for the party?" Jinora asked with her head bent low. Hiko froze with his eyes open wide.

"Uh... yeah sure. Why not?" Hiko finally pushed himself to answer.

"I'll see you there alright?" Jinora spun around and walked back to the temple, Hiko was still rooted on the spot. Sighing, he got on the boat back to Republic City.