28: Farewell

"He was awesome! I couldn't have saved the Airbenders without him." Kai was outside on the patio of the house with Jinora. It was early in the morning, the sun wasn't even fully risen at that time. They were about to leave Ba Sing Se before the Earth queen found out what they did to her most elite guards.

"Yeah, I'm glad he helped you." Jinora looked down at her cup of tea, thinking.

"What's on your mind?" Kai looked at Jinora curiously.

"I have to talk to Hiko."

Hiko woke up late in the afternoon. The mission really took a lot out of him. He stretched his back to relieve at least some stress. He turned around to see Jinora sitting on the floor just looking at him. Hiko turned back around to avoid Jinora's gaze.

"Hiko, can we talk-"

"I'm leaving after this." Hiko said while fiddling with his fingers.

"What? Why?" Jinora was surprised at the sudden news. But she knew if Hiko made a decision it would be hard to change his mind.

"I have to join my Father's clan, I denied joining them when I was back at my village because I was so scared of the Red Lotus. But now, I think I have to help my clan take them down. Especially since they're going for Korra." Hiko still had his back turnt against Jinora, who was still shocked at all this information.

"Are you leaving because of me?"

"What? No! I-" Jinora placed a hand on Hiko's shoulder which made Hiko pause. "You make me confused, but I see now why you like Kai so much. He's just so much more... complete than me and I really like that he's with you."

"Hiko, thank you so much that means a lot. But, remember that you're also my friend. And a good friend at that, you helped Kai and the rest of the Airbenders escape and I'll never be able to repay you for that." Part of Jinora didn't want Hiko to leave, but another part of her knew he had to follow his destiny. "I just hope when you leave, you won't forget us, because we're your family too."

At these words, Hiko sobbed and hugged Jinora tightly.

"I'm really sad you have to go, bro. But, if that's what you want... we support you!" Bolin hugged Hiko along with Mako and Asami who all wished him a goodluck before they got on the Airship. Korra stayed behind, she walked up to Hiko, the kid who had helped her so much.

"So, you're leaving."

"Yeah, I really have to."

Korra and Hiko looked at each other with a sincere expression.

"I'm gonna miss you." Korra said.

"I'll miss you too, Avatar Korra." Hiko bowed down to Korra, to which Korra made him get up and hugged him tightly. "I can't breathe." Hiko muttered as Korra let her go.

"Goodbye." Korra waved to Hiko as she walked back to the airship heading to Zao Fu.

Hiko walked back to the other airship transporting the Airbenders to the Northern Air Temple. He looked to the window looking at the Airship carrying Korra, Bolin, Mako, and Asami. He wondered when he'd see them again. As he pondered, he felt a tap on his shoulder, it was Akira.

"Hey!" Hiko's face lit up.

"Hi! I never really got to thank you for rescuing us." Akira was not looking at Hiko and was blushing slightly.

"It was no problem."

"Do you mind?" Akira gestured to Hiko's side, Hiko shook his head, making space for Akira.

They both stared out the window adoring the clouds reflecting the sunlight.

The Airbenders were gathered around the living room chatting with each other, getting familiar with one another. But somehow, Akira chose not to interact with them, instead he chose to stare out the window along with Hiko. The thought made Hiko feel weird, but not in a bad way.

They had arrived in the Northern Air Temple, Hiko once again in awe of another Air Temple. They were guided by Tenzin into their rooms, thankfully Hiko had a room all to himself this time. He didn't bother unpacking all his luggage since he was just gonna leave the next day.

Tenzin had already set up a driver to pick up Hiko tomorrow, which he did fullheartedly after how Hiko saved all the Airbenders. He walked to his bed and sat down with his book on his lap. The Airbenders were already beginning their training with Tenzin leaving Hiko all alone in his room, a perfect time to include Plasma generation in his book. He spent most of the afternoon drawing an illustration of how he conjured the Plasma, trying to copy his Father's style of drawing. Once he had finished, he looked at the illustration satisfied and decided he needed fresh air.

"Breathe in and out, keep your back straight and empty your mind." Hiko walked out the temple to see Tenzin talking amongst the Airbenders, who were sitting on the floor meditating. Hiko immediately caught sight of Akira who was very much deep in meditation, while most of the Airbenders struggled to keep themselves steady. Tenzin walked over to Hiko who was still eyeing Akira, noticing his chest rising and falling slowly

"Ah Hiko, glad to see you finally out of your room." Tenzin talked in a low voice.

"I didn't want to disturb you guys."

"Are you sure you want to leave so soon? I could tell the driver to come the next day, I just think you should spend a bit more time... reflecting on your decision." Hiko was surprised to hear Tenzin say this. He never thought Tenzin, out of everyone, would care about his decision.

"I'm sure about what I want to do, Tenzin." Hiko said the last word with a little bit more edge he intended.

"Yes, I just want you to know that Jinora really cares about you and if something bad happened to you she'd be devestated."

Hiko's eyes now drifted to Jinora who was meditating beside Kai.

"I'll be fine Tenzin. I'm going to get tea." Hiko had had enough of this conversation. Bringing up Jinora was sort of a cheap shot for Hiko. He now felt somewhat guilty of leaving, but not for what Tenzin said. He thought about Zaheer and how he endangers everyone close to Korra, especially Jinora.

"Should I go bald? I mean it wouldn't look bad on me." Hiko sat next to Akira for dinner, he was really interested on how his training went.

"You'd look terrible bald." Hiko snickered while Akira pouted.

"Everyone may I have your attention." Tenzin stood up, everyone around the table stopped eating to look at him.

"It is an honor to have every single one of you humbly accept their role in a rebirth of a nation. When I look at each of you, I see someone with great potential, someone who has drive. My father, Avatar Aang, would have loved to see his people reborn. He would have loved to teach you all, his culture, his traditions. I am just so thankful I have the opportunity to be able to do that with all of you. But of course, none of this would be possible without Hiko." Tenzin gave Hiko a respectful nod before continuing. "Because of him, you all have been given freedom, the chance to be a part of something special and huge. I cannot thank you enough for that Hiko." Tenzin smiled at Hiko, who was smiling back at him. "I wish you all the best with whatever you want to do."