51: Rest

HIKO! HIKO! NO!

The words kept repeating in his mind as he tried to move his body. He didn't know how long he was out, all he knew was something had gone wrong. He heard a small squeak and a click. Someone had entered his room. The chair beside his bed scratched the floor as it came closer to him.

"Hi..." He heard the all too familiar voice of his favorite student. "I brought you flowers..." The vase beside his bed made a small sound of approval as the flowers entered it. "I wish you were here..." Her voice was becoming shaky and low, and sobs were slowly getting louder. "We buried Dad today." This sentence shook Hiko to his core. Iatsu was dead. "He wanted to be buried with his friends in the Hero's memorial." Hiko felt the touch of Katsumi's hand on his. It's warmth made Hiko feel comfortable. "He would've been so proud of you. I am." There was a brief silence before Katsumi spoke again wherein Hiko wanted to speak. He wanted her to keep speaking. To know she was still there. "I love you." She whispered, leaning into him and resting on his chest. Hiko felt this everytime Katsumi came to visit him. Sometimes, she'd visit just to lean her head on his chest, as if to check if his heart was still beating. But it was the first time he heard her say those three words.

"Katsumi?" A voice spoke gently from the doorway.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself." She sobbed.

"It's fine." Katsumi removed herself from Hiko, to his dismay.

"We'll have to go in 5 minutes." Jianjun said.

"I'll let you talk to him." Katsumi's footsteps faded away.

"Hey bro." Hiko heard the door click and Jianjun's footsteps come closer. He heard the chair beside him shift again. "I see Katsumi brought you flowers again. She's a nice girl." Silence fell on them. Hiko had wanted to just wake up and hug them all tightly .

"I hope you wake up soon." Jianjun stood up and kissed Hiko on the forehead before leaving the room.

I will.

"Washi." Hiko had reached the top of the mountain again.

"Hiko. It's nice to see you-"

"Wake me up. Please. I can't bear it anymore." Hiko was sobbing and clutching his chest.

"I'm sorry Hiko. The Lightning from Junko damaged you in a way I've never seen before. I haven't found any other way to wake you up other than..."

Hiko's tears escaped without consent. He fell to his knees, his face buried in his hands.

"Hiko, please don't." Washi walked forward and kneeled down to Hiko's level.

"I don't like this. I shouldn't have done what I did. I was stubborn and arrogant. Now I'll never be able to talk to the people I love again." Hiko brought his knees to his face.

"No Hiko, you showed great courage and bravery. You protected your village and your people. It was very selfless."

"I only did that to avenge my Father. I didn't care about saving the village."

"Your honesty is what makes you valuable Hiko and your morals are unbendable. I admire that about you. And not just me, your entire village. You knew Junko was wrong and you had to take him down regardless of his relationship with you. You did it for the greater good even though you risked not only physical pain but spiritual and emotional pain as well."

"He was my uncle. Then I just ended him like that."

"You must not dwell on this Hiko. Move forward, don't make the same mistakes he or even your father comitted."

Hiko looked up to see the giant spirit looking gently at him. He wiped his eyes and stood up.

"I'm ready." He breathed in deeply.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"I'll make sure as soon as I find a solution, you'll have it back."

Hiko kneeled down on one knee and bowed his head. The spirit touched the crown of his head, lighting up his eyes.

The next thing Hiko knew, he was on the hospital bed, staring up at the ceiling. He looked to his side to see the window and the sky behind it. It was still early. He had time to rest.