38

The scent of lavender delicately blooms in the Hwang's household. The sweet strong redolence brings out an airy purple hue to the walls, the very same shade that is the colour of spring in the morning light. Ryujin never aspired to a large home, she would very much prefer it to be cozy and friendly long as it meets with her wants and needs of having the perfect home. She watched as the two elder Hwangs sipping their cup of tea in unison, patiently waiting for any of them to break the silence.

As if her rattling bones had sent a signal, Ryujin felt a soft panic that can grow or fade in her depending on what they have to say. This anxiety will grow if she continued to let her thoughts swirl around her head, eating her last functional braincells. This anxiety will fade if she just put her trust on Yeji who look calm in handling the situation though she knew deep down the latter is equally as nervous as her. Or she could just breath real steady and accept whatever they have to say.

"Mom, Dad, I have.. No, let me rephrase that. We. We have something to talk to the both of you."

Mr. Hwang set down his tea on the table and lifted his head up to have a good look at the two young lovers. Eyebrows furrowed in confusion, he asked, "What is it Lucy? Ryu? The both of you have never been this serious. It concerns me." Mrs. Hwang giggled by her husband's side like a little girl, its something she always did whenever she felt funny. "Oh my, what's with the seriousness all of a sudden? Are you both somehow possessed?"

He laughed hard with his hand clutching his tummy. "Whoa." he said while shedding a tear, "I'm convinced our Lucy is very much possessed, honey. Should we call a priest?" he paused, standing up and make a loud drumming sound "dum,dum,dum!"

"Wow I can't believe I got clowned hard by my own parents."

A sigh escaped Yeji's lips. Her sigh was softly deflating as if the tension had been lifted nonetheless it left her with apprehension. Her hands were frailty, shaking lightly as she reached for Ryujin's hand under the table and squeezing their palms together.

"We wanted to seek for your blessings. We're getting married for real, Mom, Dad."

The silence was a poison to them for that shallowness of their conversation laid bare. Their playful banter and comedic moments was utterly vapid. Mr. Hwang slouched back to his seat and turned his head sideways, exchanging glances with Mrs. Hwang. Shocked.

"Lucy, sweetie, we already gave you our blessings long long time ago. Why are you making a fuss about it now?"

"Yes, your mother is right. I approved this marriage. Ah! I should really call a priest soon."

Happiness - a certainly good feeling that has to be experienced for its true and useful meaning. Yeji wrapped her arms around Ryujin's shoulder, gently caressing it. Despite the heaviness in her stomach, it fluttered at the feeling of being openly accepted and blessed. The latter sunk into her warm embrace. Her world melted away as her eyes met Yeji's, definitely not wanting the moment to end.

"I just got home and once again witness the two of you being gay over each other. Really? Right in front of my salad?"

Hyunjin stabbed his fruit salad with a fork and chomped on it vigorously. Like a wave, the surge of emotions of envy and sadness rushed in him. Everytime he saw a couple being lovey dovey to each other, he can't help but to let himself feeling nothing but empty. He hated himself for that. He stood still in his spot, eating his fruit salad in jealousy as he watched the two rubbing off their affections to each other on his face.

"Yeah whatever guys. I'm not jealous. At all. I'm just gonna be here and eat this salad real quiet. Don't mind me. I'm okay. I'm fine. Okay."

Mr. Hwang brace his son in his arms, giving him all of his fatherly love which Hyunjin immediately return the hug.

"Sheesh! What a big spoiled brat brother."

"Shut up, Ugly Hwang!"

"Jellyfish!"

"Y-you... Ugh! Whatever, I hate you anyway, Hwang Yeji."

"The feeling is mutual, Hwang Hyunjin."

Her eyes were squinty and mean as she stared down into his soul but soon break into a trail of laughter when she saw Hyunjin's irk expression that somehow made him look like he's under constipation. Yeji's laugh was just like her whole being - genuine yet mischievous. And whenever she laughs, she made the others laugh along with her making the atmosphere become lighter and lively once again as all of them laughed heartily together.