Murdering Gloom

I could have choked on my fries, if I wasn't careful, AJ and I were laughing so much

I could have choked on my fries, if I wasn't careful, AJ and I were laughing so much. I'd never seen him smile so wide ever before. I drove us to a take out place and we packed a bunch of burgers, fries, rolls and beer! Then AJ sadly for me, took back the car, and drove us to the top of a hill. Ahead of which, we could see the city flooded with a thousand twinkling lights.

But my breathlessness wasn't because of the view. It was because of AJ. He had finally put down his fedora, and his luscious locks were falling in perfect ease. I yearned to touch them, ruffle them. I had to shake myself out of it from time to time.

I touched his wrist. And I remembered the words written on them, "Le vent se lève."

"Those words, on your wrist. They're french aren't they?"

"Yes, they're from a poem."

"I certainly didn't take you as a poetry kinda guy.......You promised you'd tell me their stories."

"Which one do you want to know about first?"

"The words, what do they mean?"

"These words, they give me courage. The whole phrase is, "Le vent se lève, il faut tenter de vivre. It means, 'the wind is rising, we must try to live.'"

"I've read that somewhere? Paul valéry?"
He smiled at that.

"Yes. My mum was french, she used to tell me this, when I felt like the world was against me. She loved poetry. Her and dad used to read to me every night."

"That's wonderful"

"Yeah," he sighed. "I loved them you know. I didn't know them too well, but I loved them. And after they passed, I distracted myself with the heists, with it's thrills. And never ever felt love."

I didn't know what to say. AJ turned out to be very different from what I'd expected of him.