Crooked Smiles

Ghost looked at me, eyes wide with shock and pain

Ghost looked at me, eyes wide with shock and pain. I felt sorry for him. I guess all he wanted was to belong, everybody kept leaving him and he couldn't take that anymore. The bullet had embedded itself in his head, I could see the blood trickling down his face. He collapsed to his knees, a flicker of life still alive in his eyes. Until he smiled at me and everyone else. A cold, dead, chilling smile, as if to say, 'So long'.  Then he dropped down and never got up again.

There was a ringing in my ears, my hand was bloody. But I knew AJ was here. I turned into him and hugged him. Digging my face into his shoulders. Never wanting to look back. I didn't want to see Ghost anymore. I didn't want to see what I'd done. It was over. It was all finally over.

"Delilah? Baby are you alright?" AJ asked softly. I could feel his hands holding me close. It was as if the rest of the world had vanished.

"I killed him, I killed somebody." I told him.

"No Delilah, I killed him. Your hand just happened to be on the trigger. If anybody asks. I killed him. And if anything needs to be served, I will serve it." He said, pulling me back to look into my eyes while saying it.

"You can't —" I protested.

"He won't have to," Said Sam from somewhere.

AJ seemed taken aback he looked to where Sam must have been standing. But I didn't care, I hugged him again. And this time I heard him gasp in pain.

"Woah woah, I forgot about your injury!" I said. And reached out carefully to lift his shirt. His whole torso was wrapped in thick bindings.

"You were operated on!" I figured.
"AJ you shouldn't be out here, you should be in a hospital room—"

"He should be, but he wanted to save you. And how could I resist that?" Said Irene's voice.

I turned back and saw Rene in purple pants, her hair was up in a bun. Some of it falling near her neck. Her eyes were sparkling with tears.

She ran to me and hugged me so tight, I forgot how to breathe.

"Oh Leila, who knew this Summer would be so apocalyptically Wonderful", she said into my ear.

"What does that even mean?" I asked her smiling.

"Gosh I was so worried," she said chuckling through tears.

"A group hug without the main groupie? Are you kidding me right now?" Said Willow before plummeting into us.

I could smell her familiar sunshine shampoo, and Rene's sweet coco creams.

"I missed this." Willow said.

"I missed us," Irene added.

"Irene?" Sam asked.

He was standing not far away. He looked oddly handsome. Something changed about him. He'd never be the Sammy we thought we knew him as.

Under the setting sun, his hair was a quaint orange. His eyes, like they always did, lit up when he saw Irene. He smiled a small, goofy, crooked smile.