Spectacularly Broken

My alarm set off at 8am

My alarm set off at 8am. It was too early in the morning for me after the tedious few nights I'd had. And I did not remember setting the alarm. Nevertheless, I got up and stretched, the window was open towards the sea.
Today was not a sunny day, the skies were fierce and dark. Ready to downpour any minute. The smell of wet sand and sea was in the air. I could almost taste the rain.

AJ was fast asleep, his hair fluffed up amongst the covers. His face swollen and gleaming. He still looked as beautiful as he did the first day I saw him. Leaning against a wall, all cocky with his beloved fedora hat.

Last night, he'd murmured in his sleep. All kinds of things, stuff about the Emeralds, a curse, his father. But one word that was constant was 'Delilah'.

He kept saying my name over and over and over. I couldn't help but grow soft. Yet I was still mad at him. And my wrist was still red and raw. So I quietly wore a plain lavender t-shirt and white shorts before heading out.

For some reason, I felt like going to the roof. I yearned to go to that beautiful place again, with the grand stained glass and the vines and flowers growing everywhere.
I wanted to draw the image on the glass.

The door to the roof, however was already opened. I walked out and saw lightning flash against the grey skies. I took two steps back and bumped into someone.

"Woah there!" John said, his hands were on my arms balancing me back to a vertical position.

"John! Morning! I'm sorry, I just don't like the—"

"The thunder, yes that's not new information." He said chuckling.

Then I remembered all those times I'd ran to him when the worst storms struck Miami. He was just a boy. And I was only a child. But he had always been so sweet and caring.

"Right, sometimes I forget. Forget that you knew me since forever."

He smiled and nodded.
Then his face grew darker and the creases on his forehead hardened.

"What's wrong? You seem tense?" I asked.

"It's just the weather." He answered.

"How's the arm?"

"Usual. These kind of wounds take time I guess," he said, his lips pursed.
"Let's go down. It's going to rain any moment. That means thunder too."

I didn't need to be told twice.
-
-
-
Cleo was hiding underneath a table, Sal said she wasn't a fan of the thunder either. I went and sat down by the table she was under.

"Hey Cleo beo. Us scaredy cats must stick together. What'd you say?" I told her.

She just looked at me for a minute, her tongue hanging out.

Her expression however changed when AJ arrived, she went to him and greeted him, licked him and followed him everywhere.

"Lilah, she's very of afraid of the thunder. Just like you." He said smiling.