You And Me

Cleo's confused bark snapped me out if my reverie

Cleo's confused bark snapped me out if my reverie. This was all too strange. Emeralds? I needed to show this to AJ. I wanted to open the envelope, my curiosity was sky high, but I stopped myself. Whatever I do, I do with AJ. I trust him and we're a team. Plus this was addressed to him. So I gave in to Cleo's requests and whines of going back inside the house.

John was opening the door. And I smashed into him. He caught me by the waist. His eyes went wide, but he held me gently.

I moved back quickly, "Sorry John, I was just—"

"No worries, I was coming to call you," he said.

"Umm is AJ up?" I asked.

"No, not yet. I think I'll go wake him up."

"Oh it's okay, I'll go. We'll be down in a minute." I said and brushed by him going up the stairs.

"Delilah—" he called midway.

I stopped and turned. "Yes?"

"Mail?" He asked smiling.

"Right! Sorry," I flushed. I ran back down and gave him all the mail, except the emerald letter.

I went back up and opened the door to AJ's room. He was up, and was inspecting his wound. It looked ghastly and painful.
It had a layer of yellow around it, the ointment he was applying.

The gunshot was in a peculiar place. And it was hard for him to reach there himself. I rushed ahead and helped him apply the medicine.

"You're here," he said. "Thanks, I was just trying to get this done, then I was on my way down."

"I told you I'd help. You must still be in so much pain."

"That's okay. It's healing," he said. "What did you do all morning?"

"I went out for a walk with Cleo. She's delightful." I said almost done with his wrapping.

"You know I was thinking maybe I could take you somewhere? We've got nothing else to do. We can walk around the place. There's this one cave near the beach, where I used to go as a kid. I could take you there. The view is just breathtaking," he said looking back at me.

"I'd love to AJ, but about that. I — I found something, you should probably see," I said sitting next to him.  I took out the envelope from my pocket and placed it in his hand.
"Sal asked me to take out the mail. I found it there. It's addressed to you. And it's just—weird. The emerald on it."

He took it and and inspected it carefully. He touched the crested jewel and seemed confused.

"Thanks, but I don't know what this is. There's not many people who know my name. I have no idea what this is." He said.
"Should I open it?"

"Well, yes!" I expressed.
He grinned.
And then opened the the envelope. The inside was a emerald green letter, with golden text in it.

It read,