Emerald Envelopes

AJ's pov:

AJ's pov:

It was twilight when I woke. I had been terribly tired and ruffled up for the past few days and just needed to sleep for a while. I was in my old room. It was the same sea green colour, with the old picture frames and CDs hanging on the walls.
I tried not to look around too much. Coming back was something I was not ready for. It was unsettling and made my chest hurt. But I'd do it a million times over for Delilah.

Delilah? Where was she? It was getting late, the skies were darkening fast. She'd wanted to swim and walk around, maybe she'd be outside, I thought to myself.
Then I got out of bed and changed into a full sleeve t-shirt.

No one tells you but by noon it gets chilly near the sea.
I figured Lilah must be cold too so I picked out one of my comfier sweatshirts for her before heading down.

The house was lit with warm yellow lights and the smell of vanilla. Sal was in the kitchen, as he usually was. But this time there was someone else with him.

Sal was kneeling and petting a dog. An Australian Shepherd, with white, black and hints of brown in its fur. She was just as I remembered. Way bigger. Yet the same.

Her big gray eyes popped up when she saw me and she ran towards me. She pounced on me barking and I fell to the ground. My face was being licked playfully by her and she wasn't stopping anytime soon.

"Cleoooo! Stop it girl! I'm here, I've missed you too!" I said holding her face in my palms.
"Oh you're such a good girl Cleo, it's been so long. You're so beautiful and big! Do you remember me? You were just a pup when I left!"

"Oh yes, she remembers you. She's missed all of you terribly. I think she thought you died with your parents. She must be very happy to see you Aidan." Sal said walking towards us.

"Oh Cleo. I missed you too, we'll go to the beach tomorrow okay? Like old times. I promise, I'm not leaving again. Okay girl?" I told Cleo. She'd sat down, half of her body was on me.

Sal chuckled.

"I can't wait for her to meet Delilah! Where was Cleo anyway?" I asked Sal.

"She had gone for her daycare. I brought her back while you were napping. She's freshly bathed and combed right now." Sal said going back into the kitchen.

"She's gorgeous Sal. What can I say, you've kept her very well."

There was a twinkle in her stormy eyes. And she was staring at me as if I were a ghost who was going to disappear any moment.

"Come here Cleo, it's time to eat." Sal called.

But she didn't budge.
I bent down to her and pecked her furry head.

"I'm not going anywhere Cleo beo. Go eat food."

"Cleoo!" Sal hollered.
Then she got up and made her way to the kitchen for dinner.