37

Brynn's P.O.V.

"Wait what?"

"She's dead?!"

"Mia is dead and I wasn't the one to do it?"

Mauro chuckled to himself and crossed his arms. "Sorry to burst your bubble but you were kind of busy dying in my arms."

"I wasn't dying. I was resting." I roll my eyes.

"Yeah sure. If that's what you want to call it." Mauro sits down in the chair beside my bed.

Everyone left to go eat or get ready for the day. Mauro has been by my side the whole time.

They actually thought I died.

Turns out Luca was fidgeting too much with his feet and accidentally unplugged the connector to my heart monitor.

The room is silent. The doctor is finishing up my blood transfusion right now and I'm about half way done. The more of Mauro's blood that enters my blood stream the better I feel.

Mauro's blood, is flowing through my veins right now. Gross.

Mauro.

Wait.... It just clicked. This mother fucker said he loves me.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Mauro's voice is low and serious, like he was reading my mind.

My head snaps to meet his gaze.

"Talk about what?" I play stupid, trying to hide my embarrassment. I can't seem to make complete eye contact with him. He's so intense right now.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about Brynn."

There is a silence between us. We are just looking at each other. Well it's him burning holes into the side of my face and my eyes shifting around the whole makeshift hospital room.

I swear he can hear my heart pounding in my chest since that's all I can hear.

"I love you." He whispers loud enough for me to hear. His eyes glance down to the ground while mine just gloss over.

He said it again. Holy shit he said it again. My ears are ringing from hearing those words.

"La la la I can't hear you. You don't mean it. La la la." I plug my ears with my fingers.

If I didn't hear it, it didn't happen.

He doesn't mean it. He's only saying this because he thought I died. It's clearly survivals guilt.

Right?

"Brynn. I mean this. I'm opening myself up to you and telling my feelings. I'm over hiding it, I'm over the subtle flirting." His voice is filled with emotion. His eyebrows furrowed, basically pleading me to hear him out.

"I- I don't know. This is very overwhelming."

His hand grasps mine as he leans his elbows further on the bed.

"Go out with me. Give me one chance, that's all I need is one date." His calloused hand squeezes mine. It's so warm, like a small heated blanket over my frozen fingers.

My ears are still ringing and my head begins to pound. You'd think I'd be out of adrenaline at this point but evidentially not.

The moment I was about to answer is interrupted by the infirmary door slamming against the wall causing us both to jump.

"I go out of town for one day! One day! And you almost die!? That's it. You are no longer aloud out of this house as long as I live."

Enzo's face is filled with concern as he strides over to the edge of my bed. I can see the stress vein popping out of his forehead as he takes in my weak appearance.

Thank god for your impeccable timing.

I can feel Mauro's hand tighten at Enzo's harsh words referring to never letting me leave the house.

"She can do whatever she wants." Mauro stands with my hand still in his and defence etched all over his face.

"With all do respect boss, this world is way too dangerous for her, she is so fragil, especially now. Look at her!" Enzo's hand gestures toward me. His eyes flicker down to our hands. They're still intertwined and Enzo's demeanour changes. He is less tense but still has that worry look on his face.

My neck becomes too weak to hold my heavy head up and I plop down on the pillow behind me. The adrenaline from before has begun to wear off and I'm extremely tired.

"Maybe we should give her some time." Enzo speaks up after his little outburst. "I have some reports to get back to you anyway boss."

Mauro stares down at me for a moment but reluctantly decides to go out of the room. He drops my hand and it's freezing again as the exposed skin hits the cool air. He walks around my bed towards the door and Enzo follows. Before Enzo leaves my side though he squeezes my shoulder really quick and I knew exactly what he meant by it.

They both said their 'see you laters' to me and closed the door slowly.

Finally.

Peace and quiet.

I have so much to think about right now and so little strength. Not even enough strength to be a sassy asshole.

-----------------------------------------------

teehee im just gonna try not to explain where ive been the last two years. all im gonna say is I had a baby.