Chapter one

It had been a long day for everyone after Kuvira's attack on Republic City. Buildings were destroyed and innocent lives were lost in the process of planning to stop the dictator in her tracks. After everything subsided, there was a large gathering of people to witness the marriage between Varrick and Zhu Li. Everything seemed to be going smoothly, but the avatar was too exhausted to stay on the dance floor.

Tenzin saw that she left the wedding and they spoke for a short time before Asami intervened. Korra was happy to see her, but she never expected her best friend to be overly cheerful since her father's life was taken by Kuvira. She tried to cheer her up by offering to spend time with her. Asami recommended seeing the spirit world, and the avatar happily obliged.

"So, I guess we should be getting ready to head out," Asami said as she stood up and held her hand out to help her friend onto her feet. "Yeah, we don't really need to pack anything though. Unless you plan on wearing makeup the whole time we're on vacation." The avatar gave a crooked grin and nudged the taller woman beside her, trying to lighten the mood.

"Maybe I want to keep up my appearance," Asami replied with a shrug. "Come on, you don't need makeup when you're going on a vacation," The water tribe girl said, "this is a time out from the usual things you have to deal with. Looking presentable isn't a factor when it comes to relaxing." Asami mulled it over and smiled after some thought.

"I guess you're right. I'll just switch out of this dress into my normal attire then," she said and smiled at her friend. Korra smiled back sincerely and put a hand on Asami's shoulder. "I'm sure you'll look just as nice without having to try," she said with sincerity. The kind gesture made the paler girl's cheeks redden slightly, but she smiled back and averted her eyes. "Thank you," she said as she looked back at Korra. The blue eyed girl grinned and took her hand off the girl's shoulder.

When Korra arrived to her room on Air Temple Island, she took off her dress and pulled her bun to let her short hair fall back into place. She felt happy that she would be able to have some girl time with Asami again, but she still wasn't used to it.

Spending time with Mako and Bolin seemed to be the only real interaction with friends she had. The avatar was so used to being shielded from having a social life that she felt alienated. She never understood how it worked to deal with friendships or crushes. When she felt something remotely close to infatuation for Mako, she acted on it because she thought it was the normal thing to do. After they broke up the last time, she realized that she was just inexperienced and irrational.

She was lost in thought, staring at the floor and thinking about how she would talk to Asami without making her feel uncomfortable. She managed to hold a conversation before with her, making her laugh on multiple occasions. She smiled when she figured that her friend didn't care about her inability to make small talk.

She looked down to see she isn't clothed yet and quickly puts her usual clothes on. Running out of the temple, she ran past Pema and Rohan in a blur. There was no time to say anything because she figured Asami was down by the spirit portal already. The avatar used her air bending to speed up until she saw a figure near the vines. She smiled and slowed down to see her green eyed friend in her combat attire, her hair in a ponytail and a small nap sack strapped to her back.

Korra caught her breath and apologized. "S-sorry it took me so long to get here. I was kinda lost in thought," she said and panted slightly. Asami smiled at her, "It's alright. Are you ready?" She asked, getting a snort and a chuckle as a reply. "I should be asking you that."

Asami laughed and took Korra's hand then approached the portal. Korra looked at her in surprise then smiled to see her excited about going into the spirit world. Asami took her other hand into hers and smiled sincerely. "Thank you for this. I want you to know I appreciate you coming with me."

Korra smiled back at her,"No problem, we can walk around and see the sights until you want to go back." Asami nodded in affirmation and they proceeded to cross into the spirit world.