Chapter Twenty two

"Today my friends, marks an era of greatness! We will finally be rid of the accursed spirit world and its disgusting effect on our society as a whole. We shall close the bridge to our superior world so that the wretched depths of that creature infested heap may rot on it's own terms."

"No longer shall they infest our land and take over our lives with constricting vines with no regard for the families they tear apart from their homes. We will prevail in our conquest to save the physical world and all who belong to it. Starting with destroying the avatar."

The man in front of the microphone had a deep voice that bellowed, causing the underground area to vibrate each time he spoke. A roar of applause came from the other individuals that listened closely to what he said. They all cheered with vigour, the dim torches flickering along the path as they all sang praise to their leader.

Meanwhile, Bolin arrived back in republic city to go into the Sato estate. He had been guiding someone along in the hallway toward Kuvira's room, then he made a slight rap onto the door, opening it slightly. "Guess whooo~" Bolin peeked in and gave a friendly smile.

"Hello Bolin," Kuvira said blankly, looking up at him from her bed. "Don't be so glum my new chum, I brought you something that I figure will brighten up your day." He brought in the huge bouquet of flowers and Kuvira looked at them all and gave a slight smile. "You shouldn't have."

Her eyes widened when she saw who was inside of the large array of coloured flowers. "Hello Kuvira." He said with a blank stare. "Bataar..." Her face relaxed and she sat up in her bed with ease now that she was able to move around more. Bolin clasped his hands together and smiled at the two of them.

"Well I'll let you love birds have some time alone. I know you two have alot to catch up on," said the earthbender as he slid away from the room. The two stared in silence until Bataar pulled himself out of the flowers and sat on the side of Kuvira's bed. "I hear you've changed," he said as he stared blankly at the floor. Kuvira said nothing, but she stared at her legs that were covered by her blanket.

"I still love you Kuvira, but my family wouldn't let us be together...even if you almost sacrificed me, I don't care. I'd follow you into death if you asked me to," Bataar said instantly, going in to kiss Kuvira. She pushed him away and he looked at her in shock. "Wh-what's the matter? Don't you love me anymore...?"

Kuvira sighed and clenched her eyes shut. "Bataar, if we're going to start over on good terms..." Kuvira paused, "I'm going to have to be honest with you." He frowned and his eyebrows furrowed. "You never loved me did you...you just used me to have an advantage on Zao Fu by marrying into the head family..."

Kuvira opened her eyes and stared blankly at her sheets. "You're right, I was selfish and only did things for my own cause." Kuvira couldn't bear to tell her former fiancé the other reason she was with him. "You were such an awful person but I was blinded by love. Now that I've opened my eyes to see what you really are, you think I'd believe that you have changed?"

Bataar stood up and walked towards the door. "I bet you don't even know what love really is." Kuvira looked up at him angrily. "I did it for Su!"
"What...?" Bataar furrowed his eyebrows and looked at her in a confused manner.

"I was in love with Su, I always have been since she took me in. I admired her, but we could never be together. She chose her husband over me and I decided to be with you as an act of revenge on her...." Kuvira teared up and covered her face.

Bataar looked shocked and disgusted. "You are sick! My mother would never do anything of the sort with you, let alone another woman while she is happily married." Kuvira shook her head slowly and looked up at the disgusted man. "That's where you're wrong. I felt a real connection with her and she just casted me aside for her husband, acting like it never happened."

Bataar had a look of anger and shock then screamed at her, "You will never step foot near my family again! Stay away from my mother!" He then proceeded to slam the door shut, causing Bolin to peek back in with a nervous look. "I'm guessing the reunion didn't go too well."

Kuvira started to cry and Bolin sat on the side of her bed to give her a reassuring hug. "Hey, it'll be okay." She hugged him back and wiped her tears away. "Maybe I don't know what love really is."

Bolin held Kuvira's shoulders and looked her in the eye with a smile. "Then I'll help you! We can go around town and hit every bar and club in the city so you can find your true love." Kuvira looked down and sighed. "That isn't necessary, but I would like to get out of this room."

"Then get up and skedaddle, we have to get moving if we're going to hit the town and find you a lucky guy." Bolin helped her up and rushed her out of the room. A pit formed in her stomach and made her feel sick. All that was on her mind was seeing Bataar's disgusted face, calling her sick for having feelings for Suyin.

"I'm so sorry Bataar..." She mumbled under her breath. She imagined Su smiling at her and saying everything would be alright, but the face suddenly shaped into Korra's. She shook her head and decided to sit in a large chair in the main room. "You feel alright? I mean we can wait until later so you can rest up." Bolin said. "I'm fine, I just have so much on my mind."

Bolin sat in another chair and leant forward with his fingers intertwined. "Tell me about it." Kuvira looked at him and closed her eyes, then opened them and started to tell him everything.