Chapter Eighteen

"Is she alright?"

"She'll be fine, she hasn't slept or eaten in a long time, but she is getting all of her rest in at the moment."

"When will she wake up?"

"That, I'm not sure of. Her breathing is very slow, showing that she's in a comatose state. It'll be a miracle if she wakes up by this week."

"Hang on Kuvira...don't you give up on me."

"Don't give up."

Kuvira heard the muffled voices as her body relaxed. It was the first time in months that she had any form of sleep that didn't last during minute long intervals throughout the day.

She finally felt that she could now rest peacefully. She felt a soft hand touch her cheek but she couldn't tell who it was. She squinted her eyes tightly and made a small grunting noise, slowly opening her eyes until they were half lidded. It was Korra, she was sitting over top of her and had rested the tired woman's head onto her lap.

"Glad to see you're awake," the avatar said and smiled, causing the woman below her to give a weak smile back. "I haven't slept like that in so long. I honestly thought I was dead." Kuvira said. "The doctor just left a few minutes ago, he thought you were in a coma," said Korra with a saddened look.

The messy haired woman felt better after waking up, slightly refreshed and she couldn't tell why. "Where are we?" she asked. Korra gently got up and put another pillow under Kuvira's head. "This is Asami's place. and while you were resting, we had some of the maids wash you and get you out of your tattered clothes."

Kuvira looked down with a laboured grunt to see that her skin was no longer covered in dirt and blood. She was dressed in one of Asami's night gowns and the silk felt nice when it brushed her skin. The tired woman tried to sit up, feeling herself physically hurt from making the slightest move.

"Careful, let me help you." Korra walked back over to let Kuvira hold onto her as she sat up against the headboard of the bed. Her dark green eyes flickered upward to see Korra's gentle stare as she fluffed the pillow against the woman's back. "Thank you for going through all this trouble, just for me." Kuvira looked down sadly, feeling weak for not being able to do things on her own.

"It'll be alright. You won't ever have to feel vulnerable anymore now that you're safe," said Korra, her soft blue eyes staring at the woman in a caring manner. Kuvira looked up to see the avatar's gentle gaze and she felt warm inside. She smiled back sincerely and weakly lifted her arms up to Korra, giving her an innocent look.

Korra came closer and gave Kuvira a gentle hug, letting the injured woman melt into the embrace and place her head onto the crook of the avatar's neck. Korra smiled and held Kuvira closer, hearing her sigh in content.

Korra pulled away after what seemed like a long time and walked out of the room, making Kuvira feel somewhat lonely. She remembered everything Korra had done for her and started to have a warm feeling in her chest, making the woman blush slightly. The way she could tell the young avatar anything and the fact that they could confide in eachother made Kuvira smile.

She wondered what the feeling inside of her was. It couldn't have been infatuation. Maybe it was a newfound respect and gratitude. Kuvira was in deep thought when Korra came back with a bowl of noodles.

"You haven't eaten in a while, so I brought you something to get your strength up." Korra sat the bowl down on the table next to Kuvira and fanned at it with a small gust of air. Kuvira smiled when the avatar sent the mini cyclone from the bowl up her arm and made it dissipate when it touched her nose.

Korra smiled back and handed Kuvira the bowl. The woman looked down at the noodles and looked over at the avatar asking for something to eat the food with. Korra pulled out some chopsticks from the underside of the bowl, picking up some of the noodles and holding them to Kuvira's mouth. Kuvira turned her head slightly in protest.

"I'm not a child, I can feed myself." Korra gave her the chopsticks and watched as the metalbender struggled to use the utensils, becoming frustrated and throwing them down. "Calm down, it's not the end of the world. Just let me help you," said Korra. Kuvira looked away from the avatar, but reluctantly accepted the help.

Korra picked the utensils up and went to wash them off, then came back to see Kuvira lifting the bowl to her face, sipping the broth. Korra stood in the doorway and crossed her arms, chuckling and floating the metal chopsticks over to Kuvira's lap.

"You really are impatient." Korra said with a smile. The metal bender looked down at the bowl and picked up the chopsticks, eating the food quickly then staring at Korra expectantly once she was finished.

Korra sighed and came over to take the bowl and utensils, putting them back onto the table. "Thank you," Kuvira gave a faint smile and eased herself out of the bed so her feet could touch the floor below her. Korra sat next to her and watched over her carefully. Kuvira looked over to the avatar and blushed slightly when she saw the blue eyed woman smile.

"Where did you need to go? I can ask one of the butlers to escort you there," Korra asked. Kuvira shakily got onto her feet, trying to ignore the pain in her legs. "I just have to go to the restroom," the metal bender took small steps until she was able to limp near the door. Korra stood and put Kuvira's arm over her shoulder. She guided the limping woman to the bathroom and opened the door for her, watching as she hobbled inside.

Korra stood near the door and saw Asami enter her home. She smiled at Korra and walked over to hug her. "How was it? Did you get cabbage corp as an investor yet?" The avatar asked. Asami nodded happily, grinning from ear to ear. "They said that they'll invest in the new model of Satocycles my company is manufacturing if I provide cargo ships for them to import and export their goods."

Korra looked enthusiastic and beamed at Asami. "That's great! I'm so happy everything worked out." Asami wrapped her arms around Korra and planted a kiss onto her cheek. Kuvira had opened the door to see the avatar in the other woman's arms. She felt a small lump rise in her throat and she impulsively fell down, clenching her teeth in pain.

Korra pulled away from Asami when she saw the metal bender fall, tending to her and helping her up. Kuvira smiled when she felt Korra's touch, gripping onto her shirt when they stood. "Are you alright?" Korra asked. Kuvira nodded and moved closer to the avatar, finding comfort when she felt Korra's hands reach out to stabilize her.

"I-I'm fine. I'll be alright," Kuvira gazed at the floor, avoiding Asami's stare. The heiress looked at her suspiciously, then she watched as Korra took the metalbender back into the guest room. "Could you stay here a little longer, just until I fall back asleep?" Kuvira asked, looking up at the woman above her. Korra looked over to see Asami standing in the hall, giving her permission to fulfill Kuvira's request with a small nod.

"Of course," said Korra, holding onto the hand of the woman in front of her. Asami stared at the two and sighed, not sure whether to feel sorry for the former prisoner or become irritated that she felt the need to compete for Korra's attention.

Kuvira held onto Korra's hand, slowly drifting back to sleep. She finally felt noticed, she felt safe. Korra felt the woman tug onto her arm, sitting near her and looking over at Asami as she walked inside. "Are you sure you want to stay here with her?" The nonbender asked. "She will be fine. She just needs someone to tend to her." Asami clenched her teeth and looked down at the floor. "A maid can tend to her."

Korra saw that something was bothering her girlfriend, so she stood to take her hand. "What's the matter?" she asked. Asami crossed her arms and huffed somewhat childishly. "I just can't trust her yet. Not that easily..."

Korra kissed Asami's cheek and hugged her tight. "You have every right to feel that way. But if she heals quicker with someone that's familiar to her, then I will help her as much as I can. Everyone deserves a second chance."

Asami sighed and hugged Korra back. "Alright, but make sure you keep your guard up. Just in case," said Asami. She couldn't put her finger on it, but she felt that Kuvira was spending too much time with her girlfriend than to her liking. She gave Korra one last kiss and walked out of the room, telling her butler to keep a close eye on the sleeping woman.