Chapter two

The two girls arrived in a lowly lit area, flowers surrounding them throughout the ground. Korra looked over to see Asami, wide eyed and slack jawed. She was obviously overwhelmed by the scenery and had a sense of wonderment when seeing the environment for the first time. "So, what do you think?"

The question snapped the nonbender out of her thoughts and she turned her head to see Korra giving a small smile. "It's...beautiful. Way better than I could have ever imagined." Asami looked around once more then gave a blissful smile to the bender in front of her.

The avatar sat down and crossed her legs. "This is where the portal teleported me and Kuvira when I saved her from that energy beam." She said calmly, looking at the older woman. Asami sat across from her in a kneeling position and tilted her head when she replied with a question. "What did you do to Kuvira to get her to stop destroying republic city?"

The question made Korra smile, remembering the earlier conversation Kuvira had with her. "I didn't really have to do anything. Kuvira only did what she did because she wanted to help her people. She went about it the wrong way despite her good intentions," the short haired bender said, shifting her sitting position to get comfortable.

"I knew she did wrong, but...there was something in her eyes that showed that she was just vulnerable and scared. She felt helpless and the only way she could feel safe was-"

"Taking innocent lives and putting half the nation in concentration camps." Asami said coldly, her eyes narrowing like slits. Korra was taken aback by the sudden hostility, but she couldn't blame her friend for feeling the way she did. "She saved my father, which was a stepping stone for me to forgive her. But she took the only family you had left..." Korra said with a solemn tone.

Asami stayed silent, pulling her knees to her chest and putting her head down. "You are stronger than me if you can look that monster in the eye and feel compassion for her," she finally said while her face was still hidden.

Korra regretted what she said and scooted closer to Asami. "Please, let's just talk about something else. I don't want to see you unhappy anymore," she said quietly and placed her hand on the other girl's cheek. Asami leant into her hand and placed her's over it. She looked into Korra's eyes and saw her reflection in them. "I must look a mess," she said with a small sniffle.

Korra took her hand away gently and shook her head. "You never look a mess. You just smudged your makeup a little, we can go to the lake so you can clean it off if you want," she chirped, getting up and helping Asami to her feet. "Yeah, let's go."

As they walked to the pond, Asami slowly got over the conversation they just had and found her sense of wonderment again. She watched as spirits flew and ran around, playing and dancing. She felt her troubles melt away as they went through the enchanted world. "We're here." Korra said and Asami stopped behind the bender to admire the lake from a distance. "I know it's spirit water but is it safe to clean myself in...?" She asked timidly. Korra side stepped and nudged her forward. "Everything here is safe," she said, "don't worry."

Asami cleaned her face off, occasionally checking if she wiped it all off using the reflection in the body of water. She finally wiped the lipstick and eyeshadow off revealing her natural face to Korra for the first time. She still had her long eyelashes and pouty lips, yet she looked even better to Korra than she did when she was spruced up.

"Wow, you should go natural more often. It's a good look on you," she said with honesty. The black haired girl smiled at the avatar's compliment and bowed jokingly. "Glad to see I'm still presentable to the great Avatar Korra," she said with a chuckle. They both laughed and sat by the lake when Asami asked another question.

"Will this pollute the lake?" Korra looked down at the vibrant clear water and shook her head. "I don't think so. It's spirit water so it might clean better than the normal lakes." Asami nodded and looked down at the water. She sighed and put her hand on Korra's knee. "What ever you did to make Kuvira change, I'm glad you did it."

Korra looked down at her knee and back to Asami. "I am too," she said softly. Asami yawned lightly and leaned on Korra's shoulder, surprised at how soft the young woman was. She thought that she would have coarse skin because of her rough battles and tough training, but she enjoyed having her friend to lean on.

The water tribe woman looked over at her friend who was hanging on to consciousness with heavily lidded eyes. "Asami..." She finally spoke after a few minutes of listening to the rising and falling of Asami's relaxed breathing. The tired woman hummed and sleepy response. "I..." Korra trailed off, not wanting to disturb her friend, yet she really needed to say something.

"What is it?" Asami slowly pulled herself from an exhausted haze and sat up to comfort Korra. "I have to go to the bathroom," she said. "But I'll be back." Asami sighed and let Korra get up. When the avatar was about to walk off, she felt her hand being gripped in a gentle, yet firm manner.

"Don't be gone too long. I didn't bring a pillow so you'll have to be my substitute," she said. Korra chuckled, taking it as a joke. "don't worry, I'll only be gone a little while," she said reassuringly.

"You said that when you left me alone for three years," Asami pouted. Korra smiled and knelt down, putting a hand on the other woman's shoulder. "I won't do that ever again. But for now it's an emergency," Korra said and got up, walking to a tree far away from where they were sitting.