Chapter Nineteen

Kuvira had woken up to look over and see the avatar sound asleep on the side of her bed. She smiled and placed her hand on the tribal woman's head, stroking her hair gently. She struggled out of the bed to sit near Korra's side, placing her head onto the avatar's shoulder.

Asami's butler walked into the guest room and saw Kuvira leaning against the sleeping woman, quietly observing her actions. Kuvira was about to place her lips onto Korra's when the butler suddenly intervened.

"Lady Sato would be none too pleased if she witnessed your unrequited feelings for the avatar." Kuvira gasped slightly and let go of Korra, making the woman wake up in a daze.

"Wh-what happened...?" Korra yawned and looked over at the butler. "Everything is fine, Avatar Korra. Lady Kuvira just happened to fall out of bed," he said.

He looked over to see the metalbender struggle to crawl back into her bed. Korra stood up and placed the blankets over Kuvira. "I'm sorry, I should have been awake to help." Kuvira smiled and turned over to hide her blush of embarrassment.

"It's quite alright. I'm feeling better already." Korra smiled and placed her hand on the weaker woman's head. "That's nice to hear, did you need anything?" She asked. The butler walked toward Korra and put a hand on her shoulder.

"I will assure you that anything she needs will be promptly taken care of by myself. Lady Sato is in her chambers, she requested that you come see her when you can."

Korra smiled at him and nodded. "I appreciate the help, make sure to wake Kuvira if she's having a nightmare. And try to give her more broth than solid food. She can't hold down too much because of her sensitive stomach." The butler gave a curt nod and walked Korra to the door.

As soon as she walked out of the room, he shut the door and Korra regained her focus onto Asami once Kuvira was out of sight. She had just accomplished something major and the avatar barely even got a chance to congratulate her because she felt the need to take care of Kuvira. When Korra walked inside, she noticed Asami hunched over her desk with her head down and her shoulders shaking.

"Asami?" Korra closed the door behind her and walked over to the sobbing woman. Asami looked up at her girlfriend and tried to contain her tears, wiping them away with a handkerchief she kept in the breast pocket of her jacket. "Why are you crying? What happened?" Korra asked, leaning in to press her forehead against Asami's and holding her close.

"It's just not fair...I barely get to see you. And when we just start to spend time together, Kuvira gets in the way and you give her all of your attention. I know that she isn't feeling well, but I need you too, Korra." Asami spoke with a pain in her eyes that made Korra's heart heavy.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't even realize how hurt you were. I'll pay more attention to you, I promise. We can do anything you want tonight. We can go out to Quang's Cuisine if you want to, I know it's your favorite." Korra said, kissing Asami's lips.

"We don't have to go anywhere. I just want to be close to you again. Just stay with me in here for tonight." Asami said, pulling Korra in close and hugging her tightly. "Of course, I'll stay as long as you'd like me to. It's just been difficult for me to trust anyone with taking care of Kuvira ever since I saw what happened to her in that prison."

Asami looked at her curiously and decided to delve deeper into the subject. "Why would you feel like you were the only person that could help her recover?" She asked. Korra looked down and walked over to Asami's bed, sitting with her elbows on her thighs.

"I feel like I'm responsible for the things that happened to her. She was hurt physically and emotionally in that prison, almost broken beyond prepare. The guards saw that she was weak and did unspeakable acts just to show that they had power over her. It's all my fault that she had to stay in that spirit-forsaken place and I'm the only one that can fix it."

"Korra. Just because you're the avatar, it doesn't mean that you have to fix everyone's problems. You have your own personal things to sort out, like your relationship with yourself and your friends." said Asami. Korra looked up at her and her eyebrows furrowed. "You don't understand, she is my friend now. And something happened that made me feel like I was supposed to help Kuvira."

Asami frowned but decided to put her feelings aside. "What happened to make you feel that way?" Korra began to tell Asami about what happened after her visit with Kuvira and how she couldn't go into the avatar state or even bend the elements to defeat the guard that was about to kill them when she temporarily blocked Kuvira's chi flow.

Asami nodded and finally understood the reason Korra was so concerned for her new friend. "I'm so sorry, I had no idea. She really was vulnerable...I shouldn't have been so jealous of her," said Asami and she came over to the bed and hugged Korra tight, placing her head on the avatar's chest.

"Everything will be okay as long as your maids assist her when I can't. We also need to help train her when she starts to show more improvement in her abilities to do things for herself. She's suffered just like I have, and I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy." Korra said with a dutiful look in her eye.

Asami nodded and smiled enthusiastically. "I'll do what I can to help you and Kuvira. But for now," Asami leant in and kissed Korra deeply. "Lets just enjoy the time we have alone, shall we?" Korra smiled and held onto Asami's waist as she felt the woman climb on top of her and push her downward. "No interuptions this time," said Korra, sporting a dazed grin.

The two of them spent the night together, only focusing on the company they shared with each other and ignoring everything else on their mind.