Chapter Twenty eight

Roads and bridges had been blocked off by the men and women wearing masks. Cars honked at the individuals as they started to used steam powered chainsaws to slice the vines apart, letting them wither away and fall from the bridge into the water below.

Many of them had created spirit trapping nets and shot them at every creature they could grab. Squeals and roars were heard throughout the city as the masses of the masked people crushed their heads and slaughtered the animals.

Large spirits became dark and violent, charging the cult members and the innocent civilians, tearing their bodies in half until other members of the Silver Serpents were able to trap them and torture them to death.

Most of the creatures were able to flee back into the spirit world, but the portal in the heart of the city was slowly closing.

The police station's phones were ringing off the hook, overwhelming the officers trying to answer them all. Chief Beifong slammed her fist on her desk in anger, rushing out of the office door.

"I want my best officers out there containing those spirits and arresting the masked criminals immediately! Find their hide out and apprehend the leader!"

Mako put down one of the blaring phones and stood to gather the highest ranking officers to go with him into the center of Republic city to neutralize the situation. They all hopped into their cars and blared the sirens on the way there.

Once they arrived, Mako barked orders to the lower ranks and started to charge into the plethora of chaos, immobilizing the cult members by jolting them with his lightning bending. He proceeded to grab one of the convulsing men and pulled his mask off.

"Who do you work for?" He shouted, receiving a spit in the face from the man. "Long live the Silver Serpents." He said with a chaotic grin. Mako dragged him and a couple of immobilized cult followers with him to throw them into the back of the police truck.

Meanwhile, Bolin had ran into the estate in a panic. "Korra! we have a situation down in-" the earthbender paused and looked around, seeing no one inside of the house. "Where could they be..." He rubbed his chin then saw hole in the floor.

Without thinking, he jumped into the entrance and ran down the path. He froze when he saw Kuvira in a chi blocker uniform, along with Asami. "Care to explain what in the world is going on here?" He asked. Kuvira said nothing and kept pushing the rocks out of the way to clear the blocked path.

"We aren't too sure ourselves, all I know is that Weng captured Korra. I thought we were so close, why am I so naive...?" Asami looked down sadly and Bolin put an arm on her shoulder to reassure her. "Look, you aren't naive. It's just that people mistake your kindness for weakness. Don't beat yourself up about it."

Asami smiled at him but they both looked over to see Kuvira weakening in her strikes. "Could we not worry about that now? I need some help clearing the path." Bolin rushed to Kuvira's side and synced with her motions, clearing the rocks away.

"When we get there, Bolin can flood the place out with lava after we save Korra." Asami said as she watched the two benders push the rocks further down the makeshift corridor. "But what about your mansion? Won't it collapse?" Bolin asked.

"That doesn't matter to me. I never want this happening again. I don't want to lose Korra, and if that means losing my family's estate...then so be it." Asami clenched her fists and closed her eyes. Bolin gave her a sincere smile then nodded in affirmation.

When they reached a large area, Kuvira collapsed onto the ground. "Come on, don't give up yet. We just found one of the rooms." Bolin scooped her up and she grunted, holding onto her stomach in pain.

"I'm not giving up just yet," Kuvira said, getting down from his arms and walking further down the room. She suddenly spotted a flag on the other end of the base. They heard a scream reverberate through the area and took off in the direction it came from.

"Korra!" Asami called out and ran faster than the others, stopping when she saw two of the masked men in the room that Korra was imprisoned in. Bolin and Kuvira quickly followed and took the two guards down while Asami picked the lock to her cell and opened it.

Korra didn't respond, she just looked at the floor blankly without noticing what was happening. "Korra we're going to get you out of here." Asami tugged at the chains and pulled with all her strength, but she couldn't lift the chains that were bolted to the floor.

Kuvira looked over to see Asami attempting to lift the bolts. She ran over to the two and helped the nonbender. "The bolts are titanium, I'm sure I can bend them out."

Asami stepped back and Korra remained unresponsive. The metalbender took a deep breath and slowly lifted the bolts up. Asami rushed back over to Korra and pushed her upward so she was on her knees.

"Korra please! What happened to you? Why aren't you talking? Say something!" Asami hugged the avatar tightly, Kuvira looking over at them sadly. "I wouldn't jostle her around, Lady Sato." A figure appeared from the shadows and threw Bolin's unconscious body in front of them.

"Bolin!" Kuvira called out and went over to him. Asami held Korra's head to her chest and glared at the man walking over to her. "What have you done to her?" She started to tear up, looking down at her girlfriend's dead eyes.

"Liquid metal. Her spinal fluid has been encased in it, she'll be dead in a few minutes if you don't do something. The clock is ticking." Weng let out a small chuckle then screamed in pain when a searing hot metal bolt flew to the center of his head, burning his flesh.

Kuvira stood to her feet and got into a fighting stance, raising two sharp metal blades of that were coated in liquid mercury. "Get Korra out of here! I'll take care of Weng!" Asami nodded and helped Bolin up, both of them taking Korra out of the room and back to the path they made.

Once they were far enough, they laid Korra down gently onto the ground and watched over her. She still didn't move and Asami held her close to her chest again. "Once Kuvira gets back, she can get the metal out of your body..." Korra blinked slowly, showing that she was still conscious.

Bolin stretched and ran back down the path. "I'm going to bring Kuvira back to get that metal out of her. Then we're flooding the place." Asami watched as Bolin disappeared into the darkness, then looked back down at Korra.

"Hang in there Korra, you're going to make it." Asami started to cry and hold onto the avatar tighter. Bolin came back with Kuvira and she hobbled over to kneel down in front of Korra.

"Please, save her..." Asami pleaded, releasing Korra from her grasp and setting her down gently. Kuvira nodded and planted her feet firmly on the ground, slowly bending the liquid metal out of Korra's mouth. Her body rose up and a steady stream of the toxic liquid came out, causing her to cough violently.

Asami's eyes widened as Korra started to move, her eyes blinking slowly again. "You're alright!" Asami hugged Korra tight, causing her to cough again. Kuvira smiled at the two of them, but then she turned around to see Bolin struggling to fight Weng in the distance.

She ran over and pushed Bolin out of the way, tackling Weng and keeping him on the ground. "Flood the base and seal us in!" She shouted. "But-" Bolin looked at her in disbelief but she snapped at him. "Don't question me, just flood the base!"

Bolin frowned, but did what she said and used all his strength to lift the molten lava up to the surface of the path, then sealing it where he stood, running off to lift Korra and Asami and rush back into the mansion. "It's going to collapse soon! Get what you can, because we gotta go!"

Asami ran into her room to grabbed her family portrait, Korra got up weakly and limped into the room to grab one thing that she kept concealed. They both came back to Bolin and the floor started to cave in under them.

In a hurry, they all ran out and saw Lin outside with Mako and a couple other officers. Asami fell onto the ground and Mako rushed to help her up. Bolin handed Korra over to Lin and they put the two of them in the back of the police truck, taking them back to the headquarters.