Chapter Twenty nine

The lava filled throughout the underground base, causing Weng to panic and flail under Kuvira. "You insolent fool! Do you even know what you're doing?! You would sacrifice your life for a mere parasite that plagues our society?!"

Kuvira ignored his screams and insults, reminiscing on her life. She closed her eyes, mentally preparing for her fate.

"I love you....Avatar Korra."

A stray tear fell from her cheek into the molten glowing lava, engulfing them and every other member of the Silver Serpents inside of the underground hideout. Kuvira felt her flesh searing painfully and melting away, finally at peace with herself in her last waking moments of life.

Korra awoke in a hospital bed, her vision slightly blurred. She looked around the room to see all of her friends crowded around her. She first noticed Asami in front. "you're awake, I'm so glad you're alright..." The nonbender started to cry, kneeling down rest her head on the avatar's lap.

"Don't cry, I'm okay." The weak woman managed to say through a few small coughs, reaching over to hug her. Tenzin gave a small smile when he saw the two of them embrace.

"We didn't think you'd make it outta there kid! But boy were we wrong. You're a tough one." Varrick said with unnecessary vigor. Zhu Li put a hand on his shoulder and shook her head slowly, making him calm down.

"I'm glad you were able to make it out of there," Lin said with a slight smile when she looked at Korra. "Thank you all for coming here. But I didn't do anything. It was Bolin, Asami and Kuvira that rescued me." Korra said with a smile. She looked around and frowned. "Speaking of which, where is Kuvira?"

Asami looked up at her with sorrow in her expression. "Korra...she didn't make it..." Korra looked over at her and Bolin in disbelief. "This isn't the time to joke around you guys. Where is she?" Nobody said a word, they just looked away from her solemnly.

"No..." Korra's eyes widened and tears started to stream down her face. Asami, Bolin and Mako all went over to comfort her by hugging her tight. A dark mood filled the room when Korra started to sob, everyone looking at the avatar sorrowfully.

"She sacrificed herself to save us...she really did change." Korra wiped her tears away and smiled slightly. Her friends pulled away and smiled at her. "What she did was really brave."

Asami stayed close to Korra and sat in a chair next to her bed. Bolin gave a small smile and stared at the two girls. "I'm happy the three of us were able to make it out in one piece at least."

Asami looked at him and opened her mouth to say something, but decided against it. Korra sat up in her bed and slowly stood to her feet. Everyone stared at her and gave her praise once she was able to walk so quickly.

"You shouldn't have been able to walk for another few months to a year. That mercury was taken out just in time." Lin said, approaching the weakened woman. "It's a good start, I've already been poisoned once before..." Korra said.

"It should have weakened you, but you surprisingly became stronger and more immune," said Tenzin in disbelief.

Everyone gathered around Korra and hugged her, making the mood lighten once again. Once the doctor came in and gave his directions to Korra about how much bed rest and physical therapy she had to go through in order to heal, everyone in the room left except for Asami.

"So what now?" Korra asked. Asami looked over at her girlfriend and smiled. "Well I think the best idea is to relocate. I have another smaller building in Zao Fu I use when I'm out during business trips." Korra chuckled and smiled. "You really are always planning a step ahead."

Asami shrugged and gave a small smile. "You have to have a plan B if things don't always work out the way you want." Korra reached over to place her hand on the nonbender's lap. "I hope you'll be able to fix your home." Asami looked up at Korra, "I'm only home when I'm with you."

Korra's cheeks reddened and she had a crooked smile on her face, looking at Asami shyly. "You really mean that?" Asami leant over to kiss Korra's forehead then smiled at her again. "Of course, you mean the world to me."

Korra took Asami's cheeks into her hands and kissed her, closing her eyes and running her hands through the other woman's hair. When she pulled away, they both were blushing deeply. "I have something that I need to tell you..." Asami said nervously. Her expression made Korra curious to know what it was. "Tell me," Korra said with a smile.

Asami whispered in Korra's ear and pulled away, looking down at the floor. Korra's eyes widened and her eyes started to water. "I...I can't believe it..." The two of them pressed their foreheads together and smiled in content, letting their tears fall from their cheeks.