Chapter Twenty six

Korra struggled in the platinum chains that bound her to the ground. She thrashed around and screamed at the top of her lungs. The masked men turned and approached her, reaching down to tighten the binds.

Before they could touch the chains, Korra quickly jerked her head upward, breathing fire and causing one of the men to fall back.

He stood and lifted his foot to stomp her head, but the other man grabbed him and pulled him back. "Wait, master Weng said to keep her unharmed until it's time for her execution."

The two men then shut the platinum gates and walked away from her without a word. "Who are you and what do you want with me?! Answer me!" Korra shouted.

When they left, she looked around the chamber to see a large gray flag hanging above the entrance with a serpent in the center.

Then she looked down at her restraints and the cell they kept her in. She figured out that the men must have infiltrated the abandoned prison and looted it for it's platinum to build a makeshift jail cell for her.

Korra saw Weng slowly walking inside of the room and be let out a low cackle. "Why are you doing this Weng? Don't you care about Asami?" He narrowed his eyes at her and snorted.

"Of course I do. You and these spirits have caused great anguish toward Lady Sato, her family, and myself long enough.

Korra looked up at him pleadingly. "Please, let's just talk about this." The silver haired man scoffed in response to the suggestion.

"Talk? You really think I'm as weak as your little metal bending lap dog, don't you?" Korra tried to reason with him, yet he wouldn't budge.

"What did the spirits do to make you want to get rid of them?" Korra asked him. He pondered a bit, then turned around to talk to her.

"I suppose I'll enlighten you since these are your last moments of life." He sighed and put his hands behind his back.

"When I younger, vengeful spirits went on a rampage in my village, killing everyone in sight and destroying everything we had. They took my mother from me that night, dragging her body with them back into the forest. I tried to save her, but I was too late, she was already gone." Korra looked at him sadly and saw the pain in his eyes.

"I am so sorry that happened to you, but the spirits aren't vengeful anymore. You don't have to do this." Korra said. Weng looked over at her and glared. "You think because you are the avatar that you can suddenly change what I've worked so hard to build?"

Korra flinched when he approached her. He smirked at her response and stood. "You're pathetic. Just like Kuvira. She let you talk her out of her empire. I may not have an empire, but I do have loyal followers."

Korra tilted her head. "Where are they then?" Weng smiled at her and stood in front of her cell. "They are currently chopping down spirit vines and gathering spirit animals at the moment. We will slaughter every single one of them...then your death will come next."

Korra stared at him with widened eyes. "Don't! you'll provoke the spirits if you try to kill them!" The man in front of her chuckled lightly then earthbended himself above the surface of the underground area.

Korra watched as he went upward then realized that the underground cell was in the heart of republic city.

She screamed and it echoed throughout the area, then she stopped and took a deep breath. Her eyes glowed white, but her head and body started to inexplicably react violently to the attempt to go into the avatar state, causing her to scream in pain.

She laid on the platinum floor underneath her, barely able to move her body from the chains. "Asami..." She mumbled before her vision blurred, slowly fading out of consciousness.