Chapter Twenty four

"We're back!" Korra exclaimed as she and Asami walked through the front door of the estate. "Shh, it's late Korra. Everyone might be asleep, don't disturb them." Asami put a finger to her lips, making Korra freeze in place and give her girlfriend a sheepish look.

When they approached the hallway, Asami walked into her room without a second thought, feeling exhausted. Korra heard a muffled sound coming from Kuvira's room. She crept near the door and peeked in, seeing the metalbender in a sultry green dress with dark red lipstick.

She gave a small knock at the door and peeked her head in further. "Can I come in?" she asked. Kuvira was slightly startled, but she calmed down and gave Korra a small nod. "Of course." Korra walked inside and sat beside the well dressed woman. "So...where are you planning on going?" Korra asked.

"I actually just came back from an outing with Bolin. Something about trying to find me a suitor after things went wrong with Bataar." Kuvira said, looking down. "That seems like it went well," said Korra.

The metalbender hunched slightly and rested her arms onto her thighs. "I don't think I'll be ready to look for suitors any time soon. I see you are doing fine without them."

Korra gave a small snort. "I think Asami and I are doing just fine." Kuvira narrowed her eyes when she mentioned Asami. "I'm happy for you two." Korra put an arm on Kuvira's shoulder and gave a reassuring smile. "Thank you, but you shouldn't be so focused on romance. You should just focus on healing and getting your strength back."

Kuvira looked over to her friend and smiled. "You're right. This should be the last thing on my mind. I must look ridiculous in this dress." Korra shook her head and smiled. "Don't say that, I think you look beautiful in your dress." Kuvira blushed and averted her eyes from the avatar.

"That's flattering but untrue. You compliment me, yet I still feel hideous." Korra raised the metalbender's chin with her finger, causing their faces to be inches apart. "Listen to me; you may think you don't look any better than a pigeonrat, But even I can admit that you look beautiful. I'm sure alot of men thought you looked very nice in that dress tonight."

Kuvira's cheeks reddened significantly when their faces were so close. She immediately had the instinct to close her eyes and lean forward, causing a pause in Korra's sentence. Kuvira opened her eyes to see that she had kissed the avatar, causing her to pull away in panic.

"I apologize, I don't know what came over me. You just helped me so much and I feel so safe with you...but I know it isn't right to imagine being with you." Kuvira took a deep breath and clenched her eyes shut, forcing back tears. Korra looked at her in surprise, "You...imagined being with me?"

Kuvira opened her eyes and looked at Korra with sincerity. "I've thought about it for a while now. I was so confused as to what it meant, but now I know that...I'm in love with you." Korra's eyebrows raised when she heard Kuvira confess her feelings.

"I-I don't know what to say," Korra stuttered and rubbed the back of her neck nervously. "Words aren't necessary, I know that you would never leave Asami for me. But the fact that I could tell you how I feel makes me happier." Kuvira smiled as she spoke, making Korra do the same.

"I think Asami knew before me that you liked me. I couldn't see it," said Korra. Kuvira looked at her nervously. "What would make you say that?" Kuvira asked. Korra looked up as she started to think. "Well whenever I help you, she seemed to be very protective over me and she told me about the jealousy she felt when I would watch over you while you slept."

Kuvira smirked at the thought that Asami was jealous of her. "That would make sense. I wouldn't want the person I'm with to spend time with someone they knew had feelings for them." Korra looked back at Kuvira and nodded. "That's true. I should be heading back to her room anyway."

As Korra headed to the door, Kuvira followed and wrapped her arms around her torso before she could leave. Korra tensed up when she felt Kuvira rest her head on her back. "Please just stay with me for this one night. I promise we can go back to how it was before. I just need you to stay..." The metalbender said shyly.

Korra placed her hands on Kuvira's and gently took them off of her. "I'm sorry, but I can't do that to Asami. I love her and it would be wrong to betray her like this." Korra said softly, making Kuvira's eyes start to water. "It isn't fair. The ones I always fall for have someone else..."

Korra reached out and put a stray strand of Kuvira's hair behind her ear. "I'm sorry," Korra said quietly. She held Kuvira by her waist and gave her a small kiss on the lips. Kuvira couldn't help but cry and hold onto Korra's shoulders after they pulled away. "Before you go, be wary of the butler. He is plotting against you."

Korra looked to see the serious stare Kuvira had through the tears. "I'll be sure to watch out for him," she said. Kuvira watched as she walked out of the room, wiping her tears away and shutting the door behind her.