Chapter three

Korra promised she was going to come back soon, but she had been gone forever in Asami's mind. She distracted herself by staring into her reflection. A few minutes passed and she slowly started to drift back to sleep, laying her head on the grass. Her mind relaxed and she let the soothing sounds of the spirit chimes lull her into a sense of security and tranquility.

She found herself in a field alone with nothing but tall grass around her. She smiled and laid in the field feeling at peace, only to have it taken away by the sky darkening around her. All of a sudden, she felt a terrible pain in her chest.

The feeling was unbearable, it was like fire spreading through her veins until she felt a violent pressure pushing down on her skull. She screamed as loud as she could, but nothing could save her. She held her hands to her head and gripped as tightly as she could, trying to ease the pain to no avail. She screamed and flailed in pain until a she heard a loud noise and suddenly stopped.

CRUNCH! SNAP!

She instantly stopped and everything went white, feeling herself slowly rising from nothingness. She felt numb and heard a faint sound. She looked to see a large blue spirit holding out their hand to her silently. She felt compelled to take the hand and she was forcefully pulled upwards.

"asa..."

"mi..."

"Asami..."

"ASAMI!"

She launched herself back into consciousness, her breathing shallow and laboured. She saw Korra above her, along with several spirit creatures surrounding them. Asami coughed and looked down to see she was in the avatar's arms, being held tightly. "K...Korra," she managed to say weakly.

Korra stayed silent and looked down blankly at the woman in front of her. Suddenly, Asami felt her friend's body start to shake uncontrollably. A few drops of liquid fell onto Asami's face. She looked up again to see Korra crying, her eyes shut tightly and her teeth clenched.

"Don't you ever scare me like that again! I came back while you were sleeping and you started wailing and clawing at me," she said with fear and sadness in her voice. She continued after a small hiccup. "Th-then you just...stopped."

Asami sat up and pulled Korra to her chest, wiping the tears from her face. The avatar was shaken by the frightening events that took place, but managed to calm down once she knew her friend was okay.

"I am so sorry Korra, I never meant to worry you. I don't know what came over me," she said with a slight break in her voice. She held Korra tight and felt the vibration as the girl in her arms sobbed. "I thought I was going to lose the only real friend I ever had..." Her voice cracked slightly and she held Asami's waist tightly, making sure she was still there.

The nonbender stroked the crying girl's hair and pulled her up to place a palm on her cheek. "You will never lose me. You're the reason I was able to keep a positive outlook on things when they were rough. I'm always going to be here for you Korra. Just like you were for me," she said, a stray tear fell from her face and she hugged Korra tighter until they parted to look at eachother.

"Asami...can I tell you something I was afraid to say before...?" Korra wiped away her tears and took a deep breath. Asami sat up straight and stared at her friend with a gentle smile. "Of course."

The avatar averted her gaze from the girl in front of her and sighed lowly. "When...I was in the Southern Water Tribe, the healing didn't really work. It was all in my head."

Asami looked at the girl with a caring expression and kept listening. "When I was learning how to walk and fight again, it was never the herbs or the healers that made me have the confidence and urge to get better. It was the thought of being able to see you again," Korra looked at Asami shyly and watched her face to see a reaction. The engineer's eyes widened slightly. "Really?"

"Yes. the thought of being there to see your accomplishments as a corporate business owner, being able to talk to you and spend time with you and the others...that's all I needed to feel whole again. I just needed my best friends back," Korra said with a small smile.

Asami felt her heart pound quicker and her face heat up when she tried to figure out what to say. "I missed you so much. I always wondered what day you were going to be back so I could be there to surprise you. but you ended up surprising me when you came back. I'm glad I got my best friend back," She said happily.

They hugged once more and smiled at one another. "I'm glad I have you to confide in. Mako gets too awkward to talk to when it comes to emotions, and Bolin is more of an entertainer than someone to discuss a serious issue with." Korra said as she laid down, crossing her arms behind her head. "I'm glad I can confide in you too. Even after sharing a boyfriend," Asami said and laughed. Korra snorted, "Thank goodness that disaster is over. I figured out that I don't always have to kiss the first guy I have a crush on."

"You can say that again. He was my first boyfriend too, so I guess we don't have very good taste in men," Asami giggled. "At least he tried to be a good boyfriend, he's just better at being a close friend. Relationships are so strange to me." Korra said, furrowing her eyebrows. "I never learned about any of that kind of stuff. I was only trained in fulfilling my avatar duties."

Asami laid next to Korra, a slight gap between them and put her hands on her stomach, crossing her legs. "Combat training isn't all that bad to learn. I was always brought with my family to social gatherings and always had to present myself as a kempt and civilized young lady. I had to beg my father let me train in fencing and hand to hand combat."

"I had to beg to go out and socialize, but all day every day; the same techniques and having no other kids to play with besides Naga, it kind of made me shy around other people besides Katara and the white lotus. I never knew what to say, or how to fit in." Korra faced Asami and smiled again. "That's why I'm glad you and I met. You know more about social things than I do, yet I can talk to you forever and I'm never shy or uncomfortable."

Asami turned to look at her friend who was beaming in her direction. "And you don't make me feel like I have to keep up appearances or show that I'm refined or regal. I can truly be myself with you and count on you to always be by my side," she said and sat up. Korra looked down and rubbed the back of her head. "I took you as a spoiled prissy rich girl when we first met, but boy was I wrong," she said happily.

Asami smiled and got up from her sitting position. "I'm glad we met." Korra yawned and smiled up at her friend. "I am too." As soon as the avatar was fast asleep, Asami took a walk, contemplating whether to expose her true feelings for Korra or to hold it in until the right time. She decided to wait until she felt that she could muster up the courage to express her love for the powerful bender..