Chapter Thirty

A small black haired girl wearing tattered clothes walked along the streets of the city, receiving disgusted glares from civilians as they walked by. She smiled at them but they would look away and ignore her kind gestures. She was persistent with her kindness, but no one seemed to even want to speak to her.

She felt her smile fade as she started to kick a stone along the pavement. She decided to go to a pond near a small village style house and sit at the edge, holding her knees to her chest. She shakily bended a pebble into the air and flung it across the pond. The length the pebble flew made the girl smile.

She braided her hair into a long ponytail and stood up, getting into a fighting stance. She lifted three rocks and made them circle around her, then she made a fluid motion, sending two of them flying across the pond. The last one that was behind her ended up hitting her in the head, making her fall on the ground.

"Kuvira!" A voice called out, making the girl look up and stand. She quickly ran inside of the house and gave a bright smile, hugging an older woman's leg. "There you are. I was worried about you, sweetie." The woman said. She crinkled her nose and pinched it, turning her head away from the girl.

"Have you been playing with the skunk bats again?" The woman asked with a disgusted face. "He's not just a skunk bat, his name is Jengbo." Kuvira said, sticking her tongue out. "Well whatever he is, he needs a bath. And so do you!" Kuvira giggled and let out a small squeal as the woman picked her up and took her to the bathroom.

As soon as she was finished with her bath, Kuvira was wrapped in a towel and picked up, being brought into her small room. A Tsungi horn was on her bed and the small earthbender's face brightened. "You remembered!"

She ran over to the horn and started to play loudly, causing the woman in front of her to cover her ears. "I'm, uh, glad you like it dear." The small girl stopped playing and looked up to give a crooked smile, one of her teeth visibly chipped.

"You really should learn to be a little more careful when you explore."

"I can't help it," Kuvira scratched the back of her neck and gave a sheepish smile. The two of them sat on her bed, Kuvira cuddling up to the woman lovingly. "Thank you so much."

"For what?"

"The Tsungi Horn! Now I can play it all day and all night." She said, sticking her tongue out at the woman. She looked up to see her attempt at humour had faltered, the older woman's eyes slightly becoming dull. "Mama 'Sami...what's the matter?"

She snapped out of her daze to look down at her daughter. "I just worry about you and Korra sometimes." Kuvira looked down and pushed the horn away, sighing sadly. "We get hurt sometimes, but it's a part of growing up right? That's what Korra always says."

Suddenly, there was a small knock on the door. The two of them stood and walked into the front room to open the door, instantly smiling. "Korra!" They both said in unison. They reached out to hug her and she limped over to them, picking them up while giving them a tight hug.

"I missed you two so much! How are my favorite girls?" She asked, grunting slightly once the small green eyed girl crawled onto her shoulders. "I shot a rock across the pond and it didn't sink this time! It went across the whole pond!" Korra smiled and reached up to hold her daughter.

"That's great Kuvie! And how are you feeling on your vacation?" Korra kissed the darker haired woman on the cheek, receiving a smile and blush as a response. "It's been somewhat relaxing for the most part." Asami looked over at her daughter and smirked, then Korra raised an eyebrow.

"Let me guess, you got her the horn." Asami nodded and Kuvira hopped off of Korra's shoulders and ran to get it out. She then blared the instrument throughout the small house, causing the two older women to cover their ears and cringe. "We need to get her some lessons and not just the instrument," Korra said.

The small green eyed girl stopped and stared at them with a happy expression. "Did you like my song?" She asked enthusiastically. "You bet we did, but I'm exhausted from being out all day and going to boring meetings." Korra let out a large exasperated yawn, causing her daughter to giggle and follow her back into her and Asami's room.

"I'm kinda tired too. Can I stay in here with you and Mama 'Sami?" She asked sweetly. Before either of the two women could protest, the small rowdy girl had already fallen asleep, curled up against Korra.

The avatar looked up at Asami and she soon climbed into bed with her wife and the resting child, moving closer and tucking her head under the blue eyed woman's chin.

With their daughter comfortably nestled between them, Asami watched as the two girls she loved and cared for rested in front of her. She then looked over at Korra and felt a small tear go down to her cheek as she reached to touch the betrothal necklace on her neck.

"Thank you Kuvira..." Asami whispered quietly, slowly closing her eyes and falling asleep. On the dresser beside their bed, a picture of Asami and her parents sat in the center. on the other side of the dresser sat a new family portrait with her and Korra side by side, their daughter in the middle with an awkward crooked smile.