16 ✱ the office

✱✱✱

The office was much bigger than Luke expected but it probably had to do with the fact that the room didn't have much furniture in it. There was a cozy but classy looking sofa, Michael's desk and a few chairs. And of course, Michael Clifford himself.

He was on the phone and when he glanced up his face lit up to the point where even Luke couldn't ignore the butterflies in his stomach.

✱✱✱

"I just think it's unfair that you let Calum babysit Dylan for the entire morning and you don't even let me pick him from school," Ashton commented once Luke got off the phone with Calum.

The two were driving home from Dylan's parent-teacher conference, Luke was there for the obvious reasons but Ashton wanted to sign up to cater an end of school event.

"I did let you babysit him and he ended up spending an entire shift eating peanuts behind the bar, he was six."

"He had a great time," Ashton argued. "I let him watch cartoons and him hot like five hot chocolates."

Luke rolled his eyes and shook his head. "When you'll have your own kids, you'll understand. Hopefully." He regretted not telling Ashton there and then that his son had diarrhea for the next few days as well as a sugar rush that lasted through the night.

Ashton took an unexpected turn.

"You still didn't tell me where we're going. Calum said he doesn't mind if we're late but I'd like to go see the movie and get Dylan to sleep before nine."

"It shouldn't take too long, your boyfriend texted me their legal team has the documents ready for me to sign, Clifford building is on the way."

"Oh," Luke glanced at the time, Michael was definitely still at work.

"Oh?" Ashton turned towards him at a red light. "Trouble in paradise?"

The younger man shrugged. "Not really, we just haven't seen each other in a few days." Luke wasn't used to lying to his best friends and there was already the big lie of his and Michael's relationship hanging over his head so he didn't want to complicate his life any further. "I've been ignoring his texts."

"Okay, is this that thing where you're afraid of commitment and want to broke up with your boyfriends after the honeymoon phase is over?"

While that was something Luke sometimes did it was before the boyfriends met Dylan and the twisted truth was, he didn't want to break things off with Michael.

"It's not that. He just... He bought me a car."

"That black SUV? I thought it was rental, I mean I presumed sugar daddy was paying for it but."

Luke groaned. "It's just weird."

"And that's what you can tell him when you'll visit him while I sign the documents."

"I don't want to bother him."

"If you won't go, I'll text him and tell him you're there."

"Traitor."

Besides the Clifford dinner and party, Luke has never been in the Clifford building. He only saw the entertainment floors and not the other forty floors of business.