21 ✱ apologies

thank you for the love and feedback on the last chapter! this story is far from being over so hold on tight!

back again with the changing point of view

warning: alcohol use

✱✱✱

"Can you tell me what happened?"

✱✱✱

There was a three-hour time difference between Thailand and Sydney so Michael knew Ashton's shift at the bar was over.

He called him for the third time if he wouldn't answer he'd call the police or Luke's mum but for some reason, he felt more nervous about calling Liz than the police.

Ashton didn't answer but he did call back just as Michael stood up to make himself another drink.

"Michael you need to stop calling me," Ashton sounded mad.

Good. Michael thought. Just what I deserve.

"Just tell me he came home safely, that's all I want to know."

He heard the man sigh. "Yes, Calum texted me a few minutes back that his plane has landed. I'm on my way to pick up Dylan from his mum."

The fact that Luke's best friends knew or that Luke requested his son's presence made Michael empty his glass before he even diluted the drink.

"Okay, thank you." He wanted to end the call but Ashton called his name.

"Can you tell me what happened?"

Michael squeezed his free fist.

"I would, but he's your friend and I think you need to hear it from him."

"If you know Luke, you know talking isn't his favorite thing."

He swallowed down the tears, he wanted to say that yes, he knew that and that their inability to communicate was what got them here but he didn't.

"If he won't want to tell you then I think he wouldn't want you to know."

They said their goodbyes before Michael went back to drinking.

He texted his assistant Rebecca to check if there was a way, he could stay here a few extra days. Or maybe never return at all.

Luke ignored the stares Ashton and Calum shared and focused on his favorite person who was going through all of the gifts he got him.

Dylan hasn't asked about Michael once and he knew Ashton probably sat him down and told him not to. However, he knew his son and he knew that sooner or later Dylan would ask where Michael was.

Dylan would ask to speak with Michael every time he was on the phone with his son while on vacation. Dylan called Michael his best friend.

Luke could feel the sick feeling in his stomach but he made sure to focus on Dylan.

"Can I sleep in your bed tonight, daddy? I've missed you."

"Of course, you can," He squeezed him tightly. The truth was, he was planning on sneaking in Dylan's room because he didn't want to sleep alone either.

It was late when his phone buzzed.

Luke knew that because it took him a few hours to fall asleep.

To his knowledge it might be morning but it was still dark and Dylan was still asleep on top of him.

From: Unknown

It's me. I bought another phone to text you just in case you blocked my number. - If you did and if you don't want to read my message then you don't have to. But it will mean a lot to me if you do.

It was five in the morning which meant it was two where Michael was if he didn't follow Luke home already.

Luke knew he had nothing more to lose at this point so he opened the next message.

I knew one day I would wake up and you wouldn't be there, however, I did think it would be after me finally coming clean to you about all the things I wanted to say but I didn't.

If you left because of what I've said when I was drunk, I am sorry. Even if our relationship was pretentious, we should still be able to communicate.

If you left because of all the things I haven't said, I don't blame you.

When I come back, I would love to talk to you, I don't expect forgiveness and I know it will be too late but I'd rather have you hate me for the truth than despise me for being an asshole.

I just want you to know that while I did everything I could to protect you, I also did many things to protect myself. I was selfish and a coward.

Michael

✱✱✱

what? is? michael? talking? about?

thoughts on the chapter?

michael calling ashton?

luke needing dylan?

the texts?

Love, Lucija ♡