24 ✱ gifts

a month later

✱✱✱

"When can I open Mikey's gift?" He asked when all of his friends left and Luke was loading the dishwasher.

✱✱✱

"Luke, man, you have to stop crying."

Luke rolled his eyes and wiped the tears away. He's been crying inconsolably for days.

"Daddy," Dylan complained. "Please don't get your tears on my cake."

He looked from his son to Calum, "How is he eight already?"

When he saw his cake was safe, Dylan went back to the living room to play with his friends.

"Wait," Calum got a look on his face, a look Luke didn't like. "So, it's been almost a decade since you had sex with a woman?"

"Can you two not talk about sex at a kid's birthday party?" Jada walked into the kitchen. Her hands were on her hips but the stern facial expression changed when she looked at her baby's daddy. "D said you are crying again."

"I'm fine." Luke turned away from his friends to get the plates and the cutlery.

For once, Jada and his mum didn't try to convince him to have a joined birthday party for Dylan. They all knew Jada's family would have too many questions and unwelcomed opinions on his relationship with Michael Clifford, son of Daryl Clifford.

Surprisingly, Luke's names and his connection to the family only got mentioned once in the press but it was enough.

It came to the point where Luke had to tell Jada to not leave Dylan alone with her family. Luke had full custody of their son and while he allowed her to see him whenever she wanted to, he would have no problem denying Jada's mum and grandmother from seeing him.

He didn't need people telling his son lies about him.

Luke explained the situation as best as he could to the seven, now eight-year-old.

Michael's dad did something bad, he took money from people he shouldn't have and while Michael tried to fix it and returned the money, what Daryl did was still illegal. He was facing jail time but Michael didn't do anything bad.

Jada already did the hard part a while ago, teaching Dylan on how to act when paparazzi or other people he didn't know would bother him.

"We should go and rescue Ash," Calum woke Luke up from his daydreaming.

When they got to the living room, most of Luke's family was on the balcony, having some adult drinks while Ashton was surrounded by children. He was throwing them in the air, as high as the ceiling allowed him to.

He seemed more than happy when Luke showed up with the cake.

Luke almost cried again when Dylan, in front of all his friends came to sit in his lap as he ate his birthday cake.

"When can I open Mikey's gift?" He asked when all of his friends left and Luke was loading the dishwasher.

"I think uncle Ash has it in his car, would you ask him to bring it to the apartment?"